"It is a truth universally acknowledged" Or is it...

September 9, 2013

Dear Jane,

As you well know, "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife." This is of course, the first sentence of Pride & Prejudice, and is perhaps, one of the most famous lines in literary history (and for good reason).

Being a true and loyal admirer of yours, I, like any other self-respecting "Janeite," love this opening line. That being said, I'm not sure that a single man in want of a wife is still a universal truth. I fear times have changed since you penned that brilliant line, Jane. I find that if I were to apply it to my own story, it would sound a little different. Observe, for now I give you my version:

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single Janeite, pursuing a career in theater, must be in want of a husband who: Is in possession of a good fortune; has an appreciation for the arts (but does not act, sing or dance professionally); and is a true equal of Mr. Darcy."

I admit that my version was not as well written as yours, Jane; however, I will say that you truly raised the bar for gentlemen everywhere when you created the character of Mr. Darcy. Poor chaps.

I digress. 

My first week has been one of many different emotions, gentle readers.  I have not yet had the good fortune to land a part on The Broadway, nor have I gotten a job that pays enough for me to live in places other than on the street when my sublet is expired. (Should it come to living on the street, there is a homeless man nearby, who may be inclined to share his church step with me...) I realize now that my relationship with this city will not be a "fly-by night, Broadway romance," as they say. It's not that I ever really thought it would be, but a young lady may have hope, no? 

Once again, I find myself towards the end of my letter without really describing my adventures to you, Jane! Time for another short but sweet account of the last few days, I suppose! 

6 September, 2013 (Friday): Audition for a New Musicals Reading Series; Interview for an usher position at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. I got the job! Then I turned it down. I soon realized that Brooklyn is literally a light-year away from Astoria. My apologies, Brooklyn is figuratively a light-year a way from Astoria. (In truth, it is just above an hour, but that is WAY too far for a mere thirty dollars.)

7 September, 2013 (Saturday): My sister, Rachael, visited again! I am getting spoiled with seeing her so often, but sadly, she will not return again to the city for quite some time. She had yet another friend visiting from London, so we acted as tourists and traipsed around the city all day. Alas, Jane, I don't believe that I will ever learn to wear the proper shoes when walking in big cities. The same problem happened in London to Regina and I last year. Will I never learn!? My poor feet are still aching, and I fear my pinkie toes (who were already quite poor looking to begin with) may never recover. Never the less, it was a most diverting day! We journeyed to Central Park, the Apple Store (Rachael and her friends worked at the Covent Garden store in London and had an acquaintance now working in the NYC store), the Intrepid, and finally, the September 11 Memorial. While the Memorial was truly remarkable, it was quite emotional to be on a site of such tremendous tragedy and loss. The night ended on a happy note with a delicious pizza dinner. I am sorry you never had the chance to eat pizza, Jane!

8 September, 2013 (Sunday): Two words, Jane: Boozy Brunch. Rachael and I had the pleasure of  sharing our "Boozy Brunch" with her good friend, Yoomi, who is a truly lovely person! (Rachael is quite the social butterfly if you haven't already gathered that.) Later in the evening, Hillary and I met with a realtor to look at an apartment. The only thing I will say on this subject is that she was very odd, and you would not have approved of her manners, Jane. 

9 September, 2013 (Monday!): I had three auditions today: one was horrid, two were good! None of them have resulted in callbacks, but I shan't let my hopes die so easily! 

And so, I leave you with this parting sentiment: It is a truth universally acknowledged, that an unnamed, single Janeite, pursuing a career in theater, must always keep her chin up! (And always be on the look out for a proper husband like Mr. Darcy.) 

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda 



Broadway Actress license plates- Don't worry I did not purchase these.



















Making Duck Faces for the Ducks in Central Park.














The Intrepid!


















The September 11 Memorial.

Comments

  1. As the lyrics of Richard Carpenter, as sung by his sister tell us: "We've (or in your case, "You've") Only Just Begun." Patience and perseverance are called for in times like these. Enjoy the sights, sounds, and certainly the smells of the City.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"Oh! Do not attack me with your watch. A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated to by a watch."

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of."