"If things are going untowardly one month, they are sure to mend the next."

October 10, 2014

Dear Jane,

How is it that we are already in the midst of October? I fear that time is flying by much too quickly for my liking, and I am sure that I would feel much more at ease if it moved at a more leisurely pace. It seems that if one stops to rest for a single moment, the whole day is gone, and then the next begins without anything getting done at all! It is a truly vicious cycle, Jane, but "tis life" as they say and we must be glad for there is so much good to be had in it. 

As you may know, Jane, I am quite partial to the month of October. The bewitching fragrances of leaves and pumpkin in the air are invigorating and truly allow one to feel all the joys of autumn. Unfortunately, living in New York City, I have yet to breath in these fine hints of autumnal bliss. However, the smell of rubbish seems to lessen as the air gets cooler, which is something that one must always be grateful for. I am fortunate that I was able to have a nice holiday at home in Connecticut less than a fortnight ago. The smells and scenes of autumn were abundant and it was such a pleasure to see my family again. While I was visiting, my sister, Rachael, held a tremendous "Oktoberfest" celebration. All I will say on this subject is that a grand time was had by all and I most certainly had my fill of pumpkin flavoured beer that day, Jane. 



Now, I chose the above quotation ("If things are going untowardly one month, they are sure to mend the next.") from your fine novel, Emma, because it represents an admirable sentiment that fills me with hope. In truth, Jane, September was a difficult month. It started with parting from my dear friends from this summer, returning on the hottest day of the year and going on countless auditions without receving a new offer of theatrical employment. However, I am happy to report that I already see things slowly mending themselves since October arrived. I feel as if my summer transition is nearly complete and I have accepted the fact that I am once again living in the real world. Actually, now that I see what I just wrote, I must confess that I told an unintentional falsehood, Jane. I am, in fact, theatrically employed! I forgot to relay the exciting news that I am currently rehearsing for a workshop of a new musical called "The Bridge." It is a story about the woman behind the building of the Brooklyn Bridge and it is a lovely piece of theater. We perform the show from the fifteenth of October until the seventeenth of October at the Brooklyn Historical Society, and I must say it is splendid to learn some new material, Jane. I have included a "link" below, should one want more information for this venture. (My sincere apologies for this shameless "plug.")



Before I leave you, I must tell you that I just found a few notes on my phone from two dates in September that I remember writing down specifically to tell you about in a future letter. As I look at them now, I am not sure whether or not too much time has passed to make them relevant or important, but I shall tell you anyways. 

September 15:
Outside Alice's Tea Cup with Meg
  • "Business meeting at McDonald's reserved a table." (It is true, Jane. I ventured into the establishment early in the morning after signing up for an audition to purchase a coffee and just sit a while, when a large party sat at their clearly marked "reserved table." Who knew one could even reserve a table at McDonald's, and for that matter, who would want to? Maybe I should try this some time...)
  • "RWS audition- what else do they want?! They wasted my time." (That one is rather self-explanatory. I gather that I did not feel my time was honoured or respected. I felt all of the feelings that day, Jane.)
  • "Getting kicked out of McDonald's 2nd time for writing and not being on comp or reading newspaper." (Ah, yes. I returned to the very same McDonald's after the above-mentioned audition, and even though I had purchased ANOTHER coffee, the hateful security guard told me that I had to leave because I was writing. I was told that I either had to be reading a newspaper or be working on a computer in order to stay and sit. Can you believe that, Jane? I tried to talk some sense into this man, as you would have, for writing is a noble path, but he would not see reason. Some cannot be helped I am afraid.)
  • "Alice's tea cup with Meg and Layne and then walking along the river." (Clearly, a satisfactory end to a less than satisfactory day, Jane. Alice's Tea Cup is a beautiful, small tea establishment and it was tremendous to be there with friends.)
  • "Attractive men at 96th 6 stop." (I must say that the 6 stop on 96th did, in fact, harbor some very attractive, young gentlemen, Jane. However, as I was not formally introduced, I could do no more than glance at them demurely.)
September 16:
  • "knocked woman down (by accident) and asked "how did that happen?!" even though I knew it was my fault." (A regretable experience, Jane. I knew exactly how it happened even though I did not say so at the time. I was rushing to catch a train and that poor woman was in the wrong place at the wrong time. My sincerest apologies, ma'am, but one cannot move slowly in areas of crowded people on a mission.)
  • "sitter's guilt (getting a sea on the subway during rush hour)" (I almost never get a seat during rush hour on the train, Jane, but when I do I am so torn between the feelings of pure guilt and pure elation.)
  • "'Yo mami' was what a man yelled at me" (Oh, yes, this makes me chuckle. If I may speak candidly, Jane, I must say that I almost never attract that kind of attention on the streets of New York so when it happend, I was quite shocked and found it rather humorous. However, all humour aside, this man was clearly not genteel or else he would never have addressed a lady in such a manner."
I see now that if that sort of information is the only news I have to share than it may be wise to keep it to myself as I am sure it was not in the least bit interesting to you as it was to me at the time! Never the less, it has been a pleasure composing this letter for you, and as always, I do hope to write again soon.

Before I conclude my letter, I urge you to enjoy all of the gaiety and thrilling diversions that this season is sure to bring, Jane (and gentle readers), for winter will be here much too soon for anyone's liking and then we shall be forced indoors until April.

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda 

Comments

  1. My favorite part is about the lessening of the rubbish smell as the air gets cooler. Thank you Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, those RWS auditions ... I want to go to Alice's Tea Cup with you two one day, mami ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"Oh! Do not attack me with your watch. A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated to by a watch."

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of."