"One does not love a place the less for having suffered in it, unless it has been all suffering, nothing but suffering."

July 22, 2014

Dear Jane,

I have kept my promise to write to you anew and I imagine that you would be quite proud, for both you and I may acknowledge how unlikely it was that I would follow through with this venture so quickly after my last letter. I write to you today as I sit on a sensible, plastic, picnic table located in the kitchen of the housing facility graciously provided to myself and six additional actors on the grounds of LaComedia Dinner Theatre in the great state of Ohio. Below you will find a photo of the handsome cast of Mary Poppins and our friend Chris from the previous cast in housing.


From left to right: Chris, Ashley, Myself, Dan, Layne, Levi, Nico & Meg
If I may be candid with you, Jane, you would find my situation this summer quite interesting, and I expect that you would write the wittiest of narratives that would perfectly describe each location and character involved. Seeing as you are not here to assist me, however, I shall attempt to compose my own clever account to the best of my abilities. 

Let us begin. You may be wondering why I chose the above-mentioned quotation from Persuasion, but I believe you will understand my meaning, directly. First, let me describe the actor's housing unit (which myself and the others have named, "The Convent") to you, as it is the important location where our days find their beginning and their end. "The Convent" is a modest dwelling where my fellow actors and I spend our time away from the theatre and was bestowed upon us along with many sensible rules and regulations so that we may live easily and forthrightly amongst each other. The most sensible rules include: not opening windows for any reason, no overnight guests, and not allowing local actors who are also appearing in the production alongside the actors in housing, into the housing unit (but pray, feel free to allow strangers off the street inside, for it is a pleasant enclosure.)  The pictures below shall give a better understanding of our illustrious surroundings.

"The Convent." 
The above-mentioned, sensible picinic table
within the kitchen quarters.
Our parking lot which conveniently houses a
 well-respected McDonald's establishment. 














Now, Jane, I shall explain my choice of quotation. You may be asking yourself, "Are they truly suffering, or are they simply being overly theatrical as actors tend to be?" In truth, I use the term "suffering" lightly, as I have found myself truly enjoying the company of all those around me, but never-the-less, we have had our moments of frustration. (Please accept my apology for this is a highly vague letter, Jane, but one must be aware of one's audience.) Just imagine Mr. & Mrs. Elton (Emma); Sir Walter Elliot & Elizabeth Elliot (Persuasion), and Lady Catherine de Bourgh & Mr. Collins (Pride & Prejudice) running a theatrical production together, and you would understand what our experience has been at times. (For those gentle readers who may not be as familiar with these particular characters, I implore you to enlighten your minds by reading a Jane Austen novel expeditiously.) Pray, realize that all manners of groups have weak members but that only makes the strong members all the more tremendous, and there are truly tremendous people working here as well. In truth, I have found people here that I wish to remain intimate friends with for years to come. 

Before I forget, I promised a note on the grand buffet at LaComedia and here it is:
  • If you endeavor to taste only one food when visiting the great state of Ohio, let it be the Sweet Potato Soufflé at LaComedia. As far as I can tell, it is comprised mainly of sweet potatoes and brown sugar, and tastes as if heaven has touched your tongue. Beware not to take too great a portion though, as it is richer than Bill Gates (a modern reference, my apologies, Jane).
  • The salad (though not part of the buffet much to the actors' dismay...another rule, Jane...) is quite agreeable when topped with the famed "Papaya Chutney Dressing." This dressing was spoken most highly of, and did not disappoint when we had our momentous chance to sample it a few weeks ago. I believe we all savored the moment, for we knew such an opportunity would not likely arise again. 
  • The rest of the buffet is generally filled with satisfying (albeit not the healthiest) items such as fried chicken and cod, rolls, french fries, buttered corn, etc. 
For no apparent reason, I find composing lists one of the easiest ways to relay information, so the following is a list of some of our amusing engagements thus far as a cast:
Fourth of July Folly at Logan's home.
  • As it so happens, we participated in a cast scavenger hunt today (graciously and cleverly organized by our very own, Layne). It was quite a diverting afternoon of auspicious competition amongst the members of our cast and crew. It was extremely tiring, but most certainly worth the effort. My team, the Rojo-Hoes (please do not ask, Jane, for you would not approve of this name) tied for first place! (We won in actuality, but that is neither here nor there, as they say.)
  • The Night Owls (this is what those who stay up later than the rest in housing, call ourselves) along with a few local friends ventured to the local movie theater to view "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" after a show one night and it did not disappoint!
  • My dear friend, Logan (a "local") and I tend to go on adventures quite often. Truly, whether it be finding party stores to purchase wigs that were not provided to us for our theatrical venture of "Mary Poppins" or visiting delicious food establishments in the area, we always have a grand time.
  • The Night Owls have a movie night almost every evening and they are truly splendid events. We also had the opportunity to explore a nearby park, which was lovely. Often times we just set out on adventures (usually planned by Layne) and await with bated breath to see where we find ourselves. 
  • Logan hosted the "New York actors" at his home for a Fourth of July celebration. It was a grand evening which ended in a firework show; it was thrilling.
  • Our adventure at North Park
    Fireworks!

  • Just yesterday, we had a small photography excursion in a nearby field which our friend, Meg (who plays Mary Poppins) organized, and it was just charming. (Also, it ended with indulging in delicious ice cream, so that made it all the more satisfactory.)

From left to right:
Layne, Nico, Yours Truly,
 Levi, Jen (Levi's visiting lady friend) 
Photo Credit: Meg Rybicki
Nico and myself attempting a
traditional Catalan dance  with Layne ahead of us.
Photo Credit: Meg Rybicki
Meg and I!
I believe the information I have provided above is sufficient enough for now, Jane, but as I review what I wrote, it does not seem to me that I have "suffered" in this place so very much after all. That being said, I realize that I do love this place in a sense (whether or not I have suffered) for I am experiencing new things, meeting new people and performing a wonderful role (though an evil one) in a "practically perfect" show. I sincerely hope this letter is not a disappointment, as some of my castmates are expecting me to pen quite a satisfactory note, now that they are aware that I write to you on a somewhat, regular basis. 

As Mary Poppins says in her note to Jane and Michael Banks at the end of Act One....Au Revoir!

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda



Comments

  1. The convent does look like it should have a cross installed on the roof. Speaking of roofs, is MP flying? Or is anyone? And, if so, have their been mishaps? Dish the dirt! I also read that the sweet potato recipe was one from Walter White's family - no wonder they're so addicting. We have a new kitten which is getting all the focus in our life for the time being. Thanks for another installment so soon- how does it feel to be referred to as one of the "New York actors"? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh she is flying and so is Bert! No mishaps (knock on wood!). Everyone is really amazing! Thank you for your sweet potato research...much appreciated! Enjoy the kitten :D It feels just grand to be called a New York actor haha...but technically I am an Ohio actor right now... Thank you as always for your faithful responses, rrrrrrRicK!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"Oh! Do not attack me with your watch. A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated to by a watch."

"One cannot have too large a party."