"Oh! Do not attack me with your watch. A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated to by a watch."

December 29, 2015

Dear Jane,

As I sit on my sofa in Queens, waiting for my dear mama's lasagne to warm in the oven, I find myself happily reflecting on the joyous Christmas I had with my family. I truly had the most delightful week at home and I miss it terribly already! I am all astonishment at how quickly the holday passes by and find myself overwhlemed at the thought of having to prepare for the approaching new year. Fortunately, my resolutions have been declared and will be put to the test when two-thousand and sixteen arrives in three days time. 

I dare say I was inspired to write you a letter this evening after watching a movie called "Becoming Jane." It is a wonderful (though at times rather fictional) movie about your life as a young lady in Hampshire. As a hopeless romantic, I confess that I am quite moved by the story. The movie implies that you were madly in love with a Mr. Tom Lefroy and almost eloped with him. Unfortunately for your most avid admirers, we shall never know the true depths of your heart regarding this matter or if it even actually occurred, but we do hope you experienced that kind of love during your lifetime...even if it was only for a fleeting moment. Needless to say, you were a very brave lady indeed, Jane. 


***

You will not be surprised to learn that I stopped writing for about an hour in order to fully enjoy the lasagne that I mentioned above. Now, Jane, I would be quite surprised if you knew what a lasagna was, so if by chance you do kn.ow what it is, I apologize for the following explanation.

Lasagne is an italian casserole (of sorts) layered with vast amounts of noodles (I shall pretend you know what these are), my mother's famous tomato sauce, ground beef and ricotta cheese. The taste of this dish is utterly divine and it is like no other food in the entire world. I sincerely wish that everyone could have the opportunity to taste this particular lasagne as I believe it is the best that there ever was or ever will be. 

You will be happy to know, Jane, that I received some very "austentatious" gifts for Christmas this year. I was given a lovely copy of Pride & Prejudice, a novel called All Roads Lead to Austen and the most charming little Austen-themed puzzle book called Pocket Posh-JaneAusten. I am sure they will all prove to be quite diverting!


A video from the 2015 Forker 
Family Christmas. I am attempting
to play the pianoforte, Rachael is taking selfies, 
Regina is filming and my brother-in-law Adam is 
wishing we were normal. You are most welcome.

As this is most likely my last letter of two-thousand and fifteen, I want to heartily thank all of my gentle readers who take the time to peruse my blog each month. Also, I must thank you, Jane, for all always being both a comfort and an inspiration to me. May you all have a new year filled with joy, peace and books! And pray, remember to enjoy the new year or much like Mary Crawford (of Mansfield Park) you too will be saying, "Oh! Do not attack me with your watch. A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated to by a watch." Until my next letter...

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda

Comments

  1. Cheers to 2016! I had the lasagna left overs tonight too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now I have a hankering for lasagne. Yum! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of."