Bookishly Yours, Amanda

June 1, 2016

Dear Jane,


My spritzer against the scenic
backdrop of my barred 

window in Queens. 
Well, June has officially arrived and it seems that it has never been this hot in the entire history of the world. That was most certainly an exaggeration, Jane, but it really has been exceedingly warm. For the life of me I cannot understand why people prefer the heat to the delightful "sweater weather" of the Fall. I must confess that if we were to skip right over summer and find ourselves in autumn once more, I should not be saddened in the least. That being said, one should note that it is lovely to enjoy a summertime spritzer (best pronounced 'SPRIT-ZA') in the evening. To make a spritzer, just pour a generous amount of the wine of your choice and add a dash of seltzer water. It really is quite delicious, Jane.

Now then, when last I wrote I mentioned that I would soon be attending my first regional meeting with the New York Chapter of the Jane Austen Society of North America (JASNA). I am happy to report that I attended the meeting and had the most wonderful time. I met lovely new people and fellow Janeites, listened to two fascinating lectures and had a most delightful conversation during tea with members of the Juvenilia group. (The juvenilia group is for members under forty. Very exciting) Additionally, there was a new members luncheon before the meeting at a charming French bistro called Le Bonne Soupe (pictured below). There was so much good food and conversation to be had that I could not believe my good fortune.


Shakespeare's First Folio from 1623
The Reading Room of the Thomas
Jefferson Building
(Library of Congress)
If that was not exciting enough, I got to spend almost an entire week with my family at the end of May! I was in Connecticut for a few days before travelling down to Washington D.C. with my parents and sister, Rachael. (Regina and her husband, Adam, stayed behind in Connecticut but I was able to spend time with them both while I was there!) While in the grand city of Washington D.C., we visited the Library of Congress for the first time. How it has taken me twenty-seven years to go there, I cannot say but I am eager to visit it again as soon as possible; it was truly magnificient. We also visited the Folger Shakespeare Library where we viewed Shakespeare's First Folio. If you are not familiar, it is basically the book to end all books. I also learned that the library will be featuring an exhibit about none other than yourself, Miss Jane Austen and Mr. William Shakespeare in the Fall; I am all excitement just thinking about it! Before I move on, I would be remiss if I did not tell you about our grand foray into "paddle boating" on the Tidal Basin. You should know that when events such as this occur, I find that it is in my best interest to create a "video diary" so that I may truly capture the essence of the moment. Now, as few people have time to sit about and watch videos all day, I shall endeavor to relate some quotations from it so that you may have a better idea of our time spent on the water. Just to make you aware, I do speak with a British accent during these videos, so it would be best if you read them while thinking in a British accent. 

Now for the quotes:
  • "Video Diary. Our paddle boat is taking on water. Mostly on my side..."
  • "Rachael and Dad are tired of paddling. Not our best idea we've ever had."
  • "If we don't make it back because our ship takes on too much water, I hope this is found and I become internet famous." 
  • "Oh, there's the Memorial. They won't turn around the boat so that I can see it head on so I guess I just have to look at it through my cellphone."
  • "I think I'm experiencing the Titanic."
  • "Lifeboats are few. Actually there are none. The bow is sinking. The stern is already gone."
Now that all of the drama is out of the way, I can tell you that I have recently decided to add a new section to my letters, Jane. It shall be called: "Bookishly Yours, Amanda." In this section I will give a short description of the book I am currently reading so that my gentle readers may find themselves with a new book recommendation. Isn't reading just divine?

Bookishly Yours, Amanda

Currently Reading: The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald

First allow me to tell you that I am truly loving every moment of this book. This is a story about a small (and somewhat dying) town in Iowa that finds itself acquiring both an unexpected tourist and an even more unexpected bookstore. The pages are filled with moments of love, friendship, a great number of books, forgiveness, finding oneself, and so much more. It is certainly a wonderful book to bring to the beach with you this summer!


Thank you, my dear friend (and gentle readers) for reading my letter, especially as it seems slightly longer than usual. I enjoy our correspondence immensely!

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda

Comments

  1. I need to see the "Terror at the Tidal Basin" video. Stat.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"Oh! Do not attack me with your watch. A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated to by a watch."

"One cannot have too large a party."