It's Really Happening...

September 2, 2013

Dear Jane,

I can't believe it, but I have made the move to New York City.  I always knew that I would have to move here if I wanted to pursue a career in the arts, but I didn't think it would happen so fast! My roommate, Hillary found a possible sublet about three weeks ago, I gave my work notice two weeks ago, and then all of a sudden I find myself in a three story townhouse in Queens! It's curious how these things just happen when the moment is right.

I do miss my family and friends very much.  I didn't get to see everyone before I left, but as I reiterated to my sister, Rachael (who had little to no qualms leaving me to move to London for a year and a half), New York is really only about two hours away AND it's in the same time zone. 

I also miss the security of having a job...I know, that's a big one, but I'm sure I will find one....I realize that, that was a very passive positive statement, Jane. I have faith that it will all work out and if it doesn't, I have faith that my room at home will still be waiting for me...!

Once we made it to the apartment yesterday, I began to look around and choose the room that I thought was best suited for me. The room I chose is bright, and a very good size, but also very hot.  The smaller room (with the window unit) was appealing, but it's not going to stay this humid hopefully, so I figured I'd just adjust. As I began to unpack my belongings, I had the distinct pleasure of seeing of a very large, very dead cockroach. ALL MY FEARS CAME ALIVE! All the stories, rumors, myths, legends of the infamous NYC cockroaches are true: THEY LIVE. Well in this case, die. Thankfully.

The last fun tidbit about my first day here was a little more worrisome. The cockroach was no big deal since I kindly demanded my father remove the cockroach at once (he's the best). Anyway, to make a long story short. The gentleman we are subletting from said that the other set of keys was in a certain location (which I of course will not disclose to you, gentle readers, as they very may well be here again someday!). I search and search, and they are not there. Questionable. He has me try another location- still not there. As the day goes on and I am in communication with our sub-letter, I get a little worried that there is just a key floating around to the apartment out there somewhere. My over-active imagination had me believing that someone stole the key and quietly watched from a secret location just waiting for us leave or be alone....But of course, it all worked out and one of the other previous tenants just forgot to leave it behind. "All good in the hood," as they say. I still slept with a chair against the main door. One cannot be too careful.

There you have it, dear readers, a tidbit of my first day as a "New Yorker." (I feel I can now call myself this as I actually was born in  New York State, but I need the quotations there because I haven't really earned the title yet.) I hope you weren't too shocked, Miss Austen!

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of."

"One cannot have too large a party."