“Which of all my important nothings shall I tell you first?”

October 1, 2013

Dear Jane,

Once again, it seems that I have been a less than perfect correspondent. I never imagined that I would have so little time to write while still being so unemployed! Life is quite funny in that way, I suppose. In order to make amends for my belated letter, I shall try to engage you (to the best of my abilities) with some of my own "important nothings."

I write to you tonight from yet another new and temporary home, Jane.  Hillary and I are no longer in Astoria (as our sublet came to an end on the 30th day of September in the year of our Lord two thousand thirteen), and were sadly forced to go our separate ways for the month of October! One can never stay in one spot for very long in this city, it seems.

Anyway, I write to you from the distant land of Long Island, Jane. I believe that the “Long” part of the name comes from how very long and far it is from Manhattan (where I need to be almost every day). However, as they say, “beggars must not be choosers.” I am most fortunate though, for I happened upon a stroke of luck in regard to my housing situation. My dear friend, Scott, allowed me to impose on his hospitality during the month of October!

To give you a little background on my new accommodations, I must tell you that Scott is a Resident Director at a university here in the land of Long Island, and I am staying in a residence hall. Yes, a university residence hall. The days of university yore came rushing back the moment I drove onto the campus, Jane! Scott is a dear, dear friend for allowing me to stay with him in this transitional time of mine. That being said, my first night was ever so much more reminiscent of my own university days than I had anticipated it would be….All I will say, is that a dear resident in the room directly above me, thought that it would be a grand idea to repeatedly bounce a basketball very, very late at night. I will say no more on this subject, because above all, I feel extremely grateful to have a place to stay.

Besides moving again, I have quite a bit to bring you up to speed on, Jane.  I am of the mind that I should state everything in a list so that I won't run on so!

**LIVE UPDATE: This update is happening in real time, gentle readers! I was forced to take an unexpected break from my letter writing, due to the fact that I have just returned from an adventure (of sorts).  It all started approximately thirty-five minutes ago…

It was thirty-five minutes prior to this very moment when I was just beginning to make the list of my latest New York endeavors (while simultaneously watching the addicting and thrilling television series, “Grimm,” on Amazon Prime), when I nearly jumped out my seat! One may think that it was because something startling happened on "Grimm (for it can be quite shocking at times)," but nay, gentle readers, it was not the action-packed television show that gripped my attention....It was the dreaded fire alarm reverberating its vociferous warning through the walls of my room!  I was unceremoniously forced to flee the premises for my very life (in an orderly fashion, of course). Not to add fuel the flames (so to speak), but it is infinitely curious that the alarm should sound on this night for I had been wondering this very afternoon, whether or not I would have the distinct pleasure of participating in a fire drill while staying here. I guess my foreboding question was answered! In truth, I am now able to say that my second university housing experience is starting off to sizzling beginning…


I hope you found my tale riveting, Jane! I must say, it sounds very much like something you may have read in the gothic romance, The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliff.

Now, back to business. I shall make my "important nothings" list short and sweet (I confess that I have said these words before, but once again I have too much to say to make my list truly short and sweet). 

  1. I miss the sweet and tantalizing smell of baking bread as I turn the corner onto my street in Astoria.
  2. I have a permanent apartment starting in November! I will be living with Hillary, and another lovely young lady named, Darcie!
  3. I was in a Rite Aid last week standing in the check out line when a tiny, old lady tried to make her way through the line to leave the store. As I tried to let her pass, I hit a candy display nearly knocking it and myself over. Unfortunately, the water bottle that I was holding went flying out of my hand. I fear that it truly shocked the tiny, old lady. Needless to say, she was very angry and made it known as she left the store. Read the following with a foreign, little, old lady in mind: "Ahhhh! You try to kill me! Why you try to kill me?! Asdkdgadgkjldsg."
  4. My good friend, Erin, and I participated in a photo, scavenger hunt race called "Urban Dare." It was a truly diverting afternoon even though we worked very hard! Erin and I were troopers, and what we lacked in athleticism, we made up for in heart and spirit. (We were also very hungry so we made ourselves complete the race as quickly as possible.) We placed #19 out of approximately 108 teams! Thank goodness for Erin's brilliant navigation skills!
  5. I lost my audition binder with all my music in it for a night. Once again, I lost my temper and behaved irrationally (poor Hillary). The good news is I found it at an audition studio the next day! The bad news is, I can truly NEVER describe myself as being level headed.EVER.
  6. I completed my training with the Murder Mystery Company and will begin to perform in shows next week! I am both excited and terrified at the same time!
  7. My coffeehouse cabaret was a success! The students were ever so attentive and seemed to really enjoy my performance. I was surprised by how many good friends came out to support me. Thank you so much, everyone!
  8. I was an extra on a television show called "My Dirty Little Secret." I honestly know nothing about it, but from the title, I am sure that it would not be your cup of tea, Jane.
  9. I started my improv class at Upright Citizens Brigade! I can tell that it is going to be a wonderful class.
  10. I got to see my wonderful friends (Darlene, Rick, Gretchen, Tori, Colin, Hillary, and Connie) a couple of weeks ago! We saw a fantastic off-broadway play called, The Old Friends. It starred Broadway legend, Betty Buckley as well as the amazingly gifted and talented actress, Veanne Cox (whom I had the pleasure of meeting as she is good friends with Darlene). It was a splendid night!
I believe that I am all out of things to say for now, Jane.  I apologize for the amount of information in this letter, but it is such a relief to write everything down. Thank you for staying with me through all of my important nothings and experiences thus far! 

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda

P.S. My next letter will have thrilling tales of a splendid ball!

P.S.S. I have already burned one of Scott's cooking pots. For this I apologize.


The before and after shots of Erin and I at the Urban Dare race!

My coffeehouse performance at Western Connecticut State University!





Comments

  1. Look at you, you busy bee! And back in the dorms! Sorry to have missed your coffee house - had to attend a parents night at Julia's school. Now that I finished the fifth season of "Alias", Julia insists I watch "Breaking Bad" followed by "The Newsroom". So many series, so little time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of."

"One cannot have too large a party."