“I hate to hear you talk about all women as if they were fine ladies instead of rational creatures. None of us want to be in calm waters all our lives.”

November 4, 2013

Dear Jane,

In truth, I cannot truly express how desperately I have missed writing letters to you!  I write to you tonight from yet another new location in the great state of New York, but I am both relieved and elated to say that I will finally be in Queens for at least six months in the same flat.  How can I properly convey to you how draining these past two months have been for me, Jane?  Since you wrote so many characters who were well acquainted with the life at sea, I will use the following analogy to assist you in understanding my perspective on the matter:  I feel as if I have been a lonely seafarer (much like dear Captain Wentworth of Persuasion), who never had the opportunity to dock his (or her) ship for more than a few days, and aimlessly sailed from port to port never knowing what destiny had in store for them....Now, while I completely agree with your notion that we ladies want infinitely more out of life than just wading monotonously through calm waters (for that would be nothing short of  dreadful), I would not mind a month or two of smooth sailing!

My last few days on Long Island were without a doubt my least favorite of my time spent on the island that is long. Not only did I have to say goodbye to my dear friend, Scott, but my travels into and out of Manhattan were less than satisfactory. 

On Monday of last week (the twenty-eighth of October), I decided to challenge myself by attempting to attend an audition before my improvisation class at 12:15 in the afternoon. How wrong I was to challenge myself, Jane.  On that fateful morning, I diligently woke at five o'clock, so that I would be able to travel on the six am train to Penn Station. Thus far, all was going according to plan, and I arrived at the studio at seven-twelve in the morning. This is where my day began to unravel, gentle readers. I arrived at the address, only to find that the dismal audition list was already at one-hundred and three people. Mind you, this audition wasn't even for a musical on the Broadway! It was for an establishment known as "Beef & Boards," a dinner theater in Indiana...that is how truly desperate all of us actors are these days.  Needless to stay, I waited for as long as I could before I had to travel to class, but there was not enough time, and I was not able to audition after all. Luckily, class was fantastic that day, and I joined my fellow classmates for delicious pint of discounted beer afterwards. Unluckily, I got on the wrong train going home, and I was forced to travel all the way out to Port Washington.  I have no idea where that is, but I had to pay fifteen extra dollars to travel back to Woodside (which is one station away from Penn Station), to transfer at Jamaica (not the country), to travel back to Hicksville. All in all, my usual forty-five minute train ride took about two hours and fifteen minutes.  As I finally reached my automobile (a modern day carriage, Jane), I found a lovely sticker that said I was placed on a "tow list," and if my vehicle was seen in that particular lot again, it would be towed. That was only Monday, Jane.

I regret to say that my next tale is equally as alarming...literally. I had no idea that my last full day in that charming residence hall would begin the same way that my first full day ended. Do you remember when I gave the thrilling tale of how the fire alarm went off on the first of October while I was writing you a letter? Well, gentle readers, it happened again, only this time it was at 3:30 on Tuesday morning...while I was sleeping. To the dismay of myself and everybody else roused from their peaceful slumbers (or illegal underage drinking soirees), some unfortunate individual decided to venture into the hallways and burn paper fliers that were innocently hanging on the walls. Why, you ask, would someone feel such a burning desire (no pun intended) to do such a thing? We can only surmise at this point. Maybe they were feeling ignored or oppressed, or maybe they were merely sleep-walking.  As for me, I believe that the culprit was biding his or her time, wickedly allowing us to be lulled into a false sense of slumberous security, only to rouse us from our dormancy in the most unceremonious and malicious way possible! Or, they were quite simply, drunk as a wheelbarrow.

The rest of Tuesday was quite lovely although sprinkled with bits of stressful moments. It just so happened that I was forced (again) to rise and greet the morning at five o'clock in order to be on time for my substitute teaching assignment located near Central Park West. Fortuitously for me, however, I arrived to work early and was able to get settled in. Unfortunately, I was teaching children aged four to six, so they were a rambunctious group, to say the least. The lovely part of the day came after work when I was able to walk through Central Park, and then down to Lincoln Center. Both areas were incredibly lovely, and were just what the doctor ordered. I also had the opportunity to see an improv show at Upright Citizens Brigade Theater and had a wonderful time!

There is so much more to tell you, but I will be very brief, and put everything in a list:
  • I went home to Connecticut on Wednesday!
  • My sisters, our mum and I went to a BYOB painting class and had a joyous time being silly, amateur artists.
  • My cousin Jack married his beautiful fiancéRoisleen, two weekends ago. It was a beautiful day!
  • I performed in Mama D's Outrageous Halloween Romp at Playhouse on Park. It was a whirlwind weekend, but was wonderful to see good friends and be in a show!
  • I packed up my room for the big move on Sunday.
  • I moved to Woodside, Queens with the assistance of my amazing parents.
  • My apartment is lovely and I share it with two wonderful young ladies: Darcie & Hillary!
  • My room is just a touch bigger than Harry Potter's cupboard under the stairs and lacking a window. I hope the owls can find me if they need to deliver a letter. (I apologize for the modern reference, Jane.) It is adorable though, and I am fond of it!
  • My parents are celebrating their thirtieth wedding anniversary today! I am constantly in awe and inspired by them. Congratulations, mum and dad!
  • I miss my sisters, but I will see them soon.
  • I am ready for new adventures!
I think that about wraps everything up, Jane.  Thank you for reading my extended correspondence, I truly appreciate it.  It always feels so splendid to get everything off my chest.

Here's to a week of calm waters and smooth sailing!

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda 



                                                  The tow sticker left on my car... rude.

                                           BYOB painting class with my favorite ladies!
                                                      Photo credit: Regina Von Gootkin




 A not so happy camper outside
at 3:30 am after the fire alarm began sounding...

To the right, you see the ill-fated fliers that would ne'er see the light of day again. They never had a chance...







Lovely images from my walk in Central Park!












My new abode! It's small, but it has charm!
Upright Citizens Brigade Theater in Chelsea 

Comments

  1. It was such a treat seeing you at the Romp. Even if you didn't feel 100%, you still were wonderful. For a brief time, the entire Falcetti Four was at the Playhouse. Glad you're stable and back in residence with Hillary. I hope to visit the City in early December if all goes well, but I trust you'll be visiting home for Thanksgiving so maybe we can have a little reunion. I should be done obsessing over Breaking Bad by then...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of."

"One cannot have too large a party."