"Life seems but a quick succession of busy nothings."

November 24, 2013

Dear Jane,

I often feel as though I have a thousand ideas (well maybe more like ten) all at once, but am never able to follow through on them. It is excruciatingly vexing! I want to do so many different things, and I am realizing that life goes by very quickly. I need to give my ideas and dreams some direction, I think.  To put it plainly, if I were to write a memoir in fifty years, this is how I would like the title and subsequent sub-title to read: 


Amanda Forker: Living her Dream
{From starring as Amanda/Jane in her original musical, "Faithfully Yours, Amanda" on the Broadway, to becoming a pop star & movie musical star, to hosting Saturday Night Live no less than five times, to becoming acquainted with the Duchess of Cambridge, Beyonce,  Kristen Wiig, and J.K. Rowling, to having been mentored by the incomparable Tina Fey, to becoming the leading Jane Austen fan and historian, to starring in her own sitcom loosely based on her life, to owning quite a bit of Harry Potter memorabilia and opening a small but successful Harry Potter museum in Connecticut (a place which truly needed it's own permanent Harry Potter venue), to helping people with various problems all across the globe through her foundation, "Laugh, Sing, Help & Recycle," and finally to winning each of the EGOT awards (Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony), Amanda has truly lived her dream...}

I realize, that this may be a somewhat ambitious sub-title for my yet-to-be-written memoir, however, it is ever so refreshing to have all of these dreams out in the universe. What good will they do me if they are only ever floating around in my head? 

I often wonder what your goals in life were, Jane. I can gather that you wanted to be a great writer, but did it bother you that your novels had to be published anonymously, and that you never received the fame and admiration you so richly deserved during your lifetime? I would wager that many of your acquaintances would have been astonished to learn that it was you that penned some of the world's most beloved novels.  It is not fair that women weren't able to publish a novel under their own name without fear of ruining their reputation or being seen as improper. If you could see what women write today, you would be so proud, but also in utter shock. It is wonderful that we are able write whatever our hearts desire, but if you read Fifty Shades of Grey, I do believe you would faint. For some reason, I believe that you cared more about telling your stories than finding fame.  If it is any consolation, you have an overwhelming number of admirers in this century (myself included, obviously)!

Speaking of finding fame in this century, I should tell you, that you are soon to be on the British ten-pound note! How is that for recognition?!

(http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2013/07/24/boe-chooses-jane-austen-to-grace-10-pound-note/2582791/)

I am trying to think if I have anything more that is worthwhile to say at this time.... Ah yes, I must tell you that my sisters were kind enough to inform me that they did not think my last letter to you was "funny enough." I attempted to explain to them that I am not a dancing monkey here for their personal entertainment, nor do I have the innate ability to just entertain and be hilarious every time I open my mouth or sit down to pen a letter. Sometimes I have much to say and not everything can end in an amazingly amusing or satirical anecdote. I would love to have a hundred witty stories to tell about my day-t0-day life, but if I am to be completely honest, I have a terrible memory and remember next to nothing. I am lucky if I can remember what day it is, or what I had for breakfast! I did have one (slightly) amusing moment the other day, however....

It all started when I purchased a coffee and a delectable, french vanilla macaron (a habit which I need to break sooner rather than later) from a coffee shop in Columbus Circle. I had just paid for my delicious goods when the young lady working kindly said, "Enjoy!" In my excitement I went to say, "You, too!" only to realize that she would not also be enjoying a scrumptious, french vanilla macaron, as she was working and giving them all away. I awkwardly stopped speaking after I said a rather loud, "You t.." I hurriedly walked away cloaked in shame.

There you have it, a story that I remembered from this week. Do you see what happens when I feel pressured to be "funny?" I tell stories in which next to nothing occurs and I am forced to write over-exaggerated phrases such as, "...walked away cloaked in shame," when in actuality, I did nothing of the sort. I walked away cloaked in my usual awkwardness to put milk in my coffee. The only thing on my mind was where and when I would eat my mouth-watering macaron. 

Luckily, I can remember what I did yesterday with perfect clarity, so I will also speak of that:

 I went to visit my grandfather with said sisters, and I am happy to report that he is just as wonderful as ever.  I also learned that he keeps a diary of everyone who visits him and everything he does on a daily basis.  It is a brilliant idea because when people inevitably ask him, "Howard, how are you doing? What have you been up to?" He can say with perfect accuracy all that happened to him. I am going to do my utmost to do this as well, because I am certain that "funny" things happen to me more often than my poor brain allows me to recall. 

These quick successions of busy nothings will start to go by very quickly if one cannot remember them! I think I should soon visit an apothecary for a daily dosage of fish oil as there are studies to suggest that it may be beneficial for one's brain and memory. 

Until next time...

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda


These pictures are from my most recent walk through Central Park. I just love the angel statue!




My sister, Rachael and I visiting with our grandfather, Howard. He is ninety-one and still sharp as a tack!

Comments

  1. I think Harry Potter needs to be slated for their currency also. I'm sure that franchise has boosted their economy sufficiently.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of."

"One cannot have too large a party."