“I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun.”

July 18, 2014

Dear Jane,

I write to you with a heavy heart, as I realize that today is, in fact, the anniversary of your untimely death. It has been one hundred and ninety-seven years since your bright light faded, but rest in peace knowing that you have left behind a legacy that will no doubt last for centuries to come.

I chose the above quotation (from Pride & Prejudice, of course), as it perfectly describes my relationship both with you (as my favourite author) and your novels. I can scarcely remember the moment that I became enthralled by the worlds you created so brilliantly within your novels, but I am so very glad that I did. In fact, I have found that it is most certainly, a truth universally acknowledged that life is a little brighter with Miss Jane Austen by one's side. 

As you may remember, Jane, I am currently residing in the great state of Ohio for these summer months, performing in a production of "Mary Poppins" at LaComedia Dinner Theatre. You will be pleased to know that I am having quite the agreeable time here as I am constantly performing in a wonderful, theatrical venture, as well as engaging in all manners of frivolity and tom foolery with my fellow castmates; we are quite a lively party, Jane. 

Sadly, I must remind you of something you once said in a letter to your sister, Cassandra: "You deserve a longer letter than this; but it is my unhappy fate seldom to treat people so well as they deserve." I must regret to say that I am rather late for an engagement (dining at the LaComedia Buffet...more on this later, Jane, so much more...), so I must end my letter much sooner than intended. I wanted to make sure I acknowledged this important day in history, and now I have, so I shall be done with this sad matter. My next letter will arrive post haste and will be filled with tales of friendship and folly!

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda

    Comments

    1. So how are the sweet potatoes at the buffet? I have an irrational need to know that piece of information. Sounds like you are doing well (I want stories!) and it pleases me to know that.

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Popular posts from this blog

    Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

    "Oh! Do not attack me with your watch. A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated to by a watch."

    "One cannot have too large a party."