"I am not at all in a humour for writing; I must write on till I am."

March 12, 2015

Dear Jane,

It is with great displeasure that I now write to you as an old maid...pray, let me explain my meaning.

The last time I wrote to you I was a young and vivacious twenty-five year old whereas now I am an old, spinster-like twenty-six year old. Where has the time gone? What prospects have I to look forward to?! If I am being truly honest with myself, my prospects are no different from what they were when I was twenty-five (last week), so I shall find it within myself to "keep it together." My only solace is that I am not a financial burdern on my parents (as poor Charlotte Lucas from Pride & Prejudice feared she was at this age) and I am not at the point where my only chance for happiness is marrying a man like the daft and dreadful, Mr. Collins. Now there is some silver lining, Jane.
North Carolina Blizzard-
View from the Van

Anyway, life here has continued on as normal whilst I have been performing in "Miss Nelson is Missing." (However, what is normal when one is travelling around America in a giant van with five other young adults?) I am fortunate that I was able to spend nearly a week and a half in the lovely and warm state of Florida. Not only did I see alligators while we were there, but I also swam in the ocean in February...it was quite an exciting time. Oddly enough, our journey did not start off with much promise as we drove through a wretched blizzard in North Carolina, however, it turned out to be quite a successful trip. After our time in Florida we drove back up through Georgia, performing in Washington D.C. and Baltimore, MD before arriving back in New York City. Below you shall find a variety of photos from our two week adventure down south.

As I mentioned before, since returning to New York City, I have in fact aged. That being said, however, I did have an absolutely lovely birthday. On the morning of my birthday (the seventh of March in the Year of our Lord, two thousand and fifteen) we had a performance in none other than New York City. Was it at an elementary school? Yes. Does it mean we basically performed on Broadway? Most definitely. Anyway, before we began Stephanie and Alexandra presented me with some truly lovely birthday gifts; two bookmarks, mini cupcakes and a starbucks gift card. I was so very touched! Afterwards, my sister, Regina and my dear mother arrived at my apartment to bring me home for a couple of days as I had a day off before our next show which just happened to be in Connecticut. On the way home we stopped at a most glorious and esteemed pizza parlor called "Pelham Pizza" and it was simply divine. Additionally, I was greatly moved when I learned that so many of my dear friends and family wished me glad tidings for a happy day. 

I must confess, Jane, that it has taken me the entire day to write this letter and I have procastinated for so long now that I have even sowed a button back on to a sweater before finishing this (and I am not a skilled seamstress).  Never-the-less, I shall continue on, for even you (one of the greatest authoresses of all time) had days where you were not in a humour for writing but found it within yourself to keep on going. 

Now that I have gotten to this point, however, I cannot think of anything else to write. 

That was a falsehood, Jane, I have quite a few stories that I could tell from the past weeks, but unfortunately my laziness has indeed gotten the better of me and I shall have to save them for next time.

Thank you for indulging me, dear friend. Next time, I shall be so much more willing to recount diverting tales for you and all of my dear, gentle readers.

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda


Enjoying some much deserved
time on the seashore!
We had the good fortune to visit
Downtown Disney for an afternoon!
While in Florida we stayed with a cast member's
aunt and she had quite the beautiufl home.
How gracious of her to accomodate us!
 
Oh Dear!
Nothing beats a Florida sunset!

Of course we had to stop at the most
peculiar rest stop of all...South of the Border


Miss Nelson visits Washington D.C. 
Our dear van, whom we've named,
 "Stretch," in his natural habitat.

Comments

  1. Yes, we want stories, and if they include backstage mishaps, all the better. I still have not seen a schedule of where and when Miss Nelson will be making her appearances, so I had to take matters into my own hands (and computer search engine). It appears that you will be performing at Lincoln Theater at my alma mater: Univertisy of Hartford at 10:00 am and 12:00 noon on May 6th. If this is true, please confirm so that I may obtain the requisite tickets. Miss(Nelson)ing you terribly, especially now that we are at another stop/time Hell Week and I cannot see you backstage (nor onstage for that matter).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of."

"Oh! Do not attack me with your watch. A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated to by a watch."