"Respect for right conduct is felt by everybody."

May 31, 2015

Dear Jane,

I cannot believe it, but summer is nearly upon us! I am quite out of sorts knowing that tomorrow is the first of June...where has the year gone? "The Miss Nelson is Missing" tour finishes up in roughly a fortnight (I do love the opportunity to use that term) and then after that I am a free bird, as they say. In truth, I will be saddened to leave my cast members for truly we do have a wonderful time together, but I am quite ready for the conclusion of this extensive (yet charming) journey that we have been on since January. 

Since last I wrote to you, I spoke of a rather nasty illness that I was experiencing. Luckily for me, I finally journeyed to my physician on one of our free days and received the necessary medical attention. (This dramatic trip was recorded for posterity's sake in the video below.) It seems that I had a bronchial infection (a severe chest cold that encompassed difficulty breathing and nasty coughing, Jane) and was hastily prescibed a lovely, modern miracle known as an antibiotic. Oh, what sweet salvation antibiotics are, dear friend! If only I had plucked up the sense to go to my physician sooner, I would have most likely spared myself a lot of sleepless nights and poorly sung shows of "Miss Nelson." Ah well, hopefully the children we performed for in the many farm towns of upstate New York will forgive me some day. 



Rick and I after the Connecticut performance!
I have been very fortunate on this tour, Jane, because the entire cast was able to spend a night at my home in Connecticut. It was ever so fortuitous that we had a show so close to my home on the following day. My parents hosted the most lovely dinner party (rather more like a fiesta as it was Cinco de Mayo...a holiday that you were never aware of, unfortunately). We had a delightful time regaling diverting stories about our adventures on the road. My dear sisters, brother-in-law and family friend were also there and I was quite at my leisure surrounded by such enjoyable company. I was also humbled that so many Connecticut friends including my parents, Rick, Darlene, Tori and Jodylynn attended our show the next day; I am a lucky young lady indeed. 


The cast and my sister, Rachael enjoying my Connecticut home!
Now before I conclude my letter, Jane, I do have one more story for you. Pray, believe me when I say that it is highly amusing to us now but in retrospect, it was quite dreadful...

It was the eighth of May, a Friday, and a day like any other with the cast of "Miss Nelson is Missing," when our morning started rather earlier than most. We were each forced to leave our humble abodes at a most alarmingly early time (4:30 am). You can imagine that by the end of the day were quite tired and rather irritable. (Again, in retrospect, I may have been the most irritable of the group...) Anyway, we had a two show day in a town in New Jersey that was roughly two hours away, so we knew it was going to be a long day no matter what. We had finally finished our last show and were all so blissfully happy to be returning home and seeing as our stage manager would not be returning with us in the van, I volunteered to drive back to Manhattan (the island where dreams of pleasant evenings go to perish). We were beginning to see traffic, when a cast member informed me that there was a faster, alternate route. Huzzah! Naturally, we took the route. Unfortunately, it wasn't much better and the traffic was building up everywhere, but still all was well for the most part (although my irritability was growing). Now, it is true that we are a generally a jolly group so we began joking around. Well, at some point the wrong thing was said to me and I completely lost my temper.  A word to the wise: Pity the driver who loses their temper for they will not make good decisions. Anyway, I was so flustered as we approached the George Washington Bridge (at the height of rush hour) that I made the impudent decision to drive on the upper level of the bridge instead of our normal route along the lower level. How grave a mistake this was, Jane. Obviously, there were too many trucks and careless accidents so we travelled for what felt like an eternity moving at a snail's pace along the upper level of the bridge in a hot van with heated, tense silence.  Once we finally arrived at our garage, I stormed away without saying a single farewell. Later, while I was on the train home, I realized that I had to apologize for my poor behaviour and messaged an apology to my castmate. After my apology, I made a trusty note on my phone that read, "You must learn to control your temper." I only wish I wrote this before journeying over the upper level of the George Washington Bridge on a Friday at rush hour. Thankfully, all was well in the group by the time I arrived home and a single quotation of yours ran through my mind, "Respect for right conduct is felt by everybody."

Whether or not that was my most amusing tale, I am happy to say that I learned a valuable lesson that day, Jane. Until next time!

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda


Comments

  1. Valuable Lesson 1: Drugs. Always take the drugs. Valuable Lesson 2: Driving in NYC and Zen are mutually exclusive.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"Oh! Do not attack me with your watch. A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated to by a watch."

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of."