"I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal."

June 16, 2015

Dear Jane,

I regret to inform you that this letter is delivered to you from my renewed place in the "real world." I am both happy and disappointed to report that the 'Miss Nelson is Missing' tour formally came to an end on the twelfth of June in the Year of our Lord, two-thousand and fifteen, on a Friday. 

Between the two of us, Jane, I do not believe we would have been able to continue much longer anyways, as our van was slowly (or rather, rapidly) breaking down. Along with not being able to shut the back door from the inside and lack of air circulation (to name just a couple of things), we also lost a tire. It was the beginning of June and we were just beginning our journey to Massachusetts. After sitting for quite a long time in traffic, we were were finally driving through Connecticut, when suddenly, one of our back tires blew out and gave us a terrible fright! (Naturally, it was also pouring rain.) Anyway, we had to quickly pull off the road, unload part of the set to get the spare tire from the back of the van, and finally wait to be rescued while giant trucks sped dangerously by. It was quite the adventure, to say the least...


The cast of Miss Nelson watching their van get rescued by AAA in the rain.

To say it has been a long six months, would be a vast misrepresentation, Jane. However, now that it is over, I must admit that I feel rather forlorn and will miss the cast very much. I think it a very odd notion, that actors are expected to go about life as usual after a long experience, such as this. I cannot think of many other occupations where you live and work with the same group of people and have so particular a routine for a relatively long spell, only to have it end abruptly one day. After it is over, you immediately lose the familiar day to day contact with this new family you've come to know and admire and then are expected to act as though it is of no consequence; and this is to be considered completely normal! It is truly a vicious cycle for it happens with each new production whether you like it or not and I fear it gets more difficult to bear each time, Jane. Why must we, theatricals, be so very easy to befriend? You once wisely wrote, "I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal..." and wicked as it may seem, I share your sentiments completely. It takes much more work to like a person than not. The prior comes with so many more complicated feelings and obligations, especially in the world of theater, where no one stays in the same place for very long.
Our last day in Room 207!
I fear this letter already has far too many hints of bitterness, Jane, but seeing as one is only human, one must share what one truly feels. 

I am proud to report that on the very next day after my tour concluded, I went back to work at my "survival job." This is the term that actors use to describe the occupation that is a financial supplement for them whilst they are not performing (and often times even whilst they are as well)... This can involve anything from working as a bar wench to being a governess for the children of wealthy, noble families. Mine happens to be a merchant assistant at a very large shop called a "sample sale warehouse." It is here that the wealthy shop for expensive items that have been reduced in price, such as: clothing, shoes, jewlery and home goods. It is not the worst occupation, and often produces diverting stories as the costumers never seem to be in their right mind and act quite wildly when faced with shopping for these precious, discounted items that many commoners (such as Yours Faithfully) still could not afford. I am pleased to say, however, that the people I work with are truly wonderful (although they too are actors and are often 'gone with the wind' when cast in a new production. Is nothing constant, Jane?).


Krystal, myself and Hillary
In happier news, I am pleased to inform you that I have finally seen a ballet! Oh, Jane, what a magnificent night! I ventured to the Metropolitan Opera House at Lincoln Center with my dear friends, Hillary and Krystal last week where we saw their newest production of "Sleeping Beauty." Luckily, Hillary and I (who are past the age of being...students) were able to get discounted tickets when Krystal used her student identification card. We  were sitting in the orchestra section and could see everything perfectly. Prior to this experience, I had only sat very, very high up in what one calls, "the nosebleed section." It was a grand production with gifted dancers; I was positively enchanted and cannot wait to return. 

Anyway, I shall leave you with my thoughts, as I know you will take good care of them. Moreover, I am resolved to be in much better spirits next time I write and shall endeavor to avoid all hints of bitterness...for the most part.

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda


View from the orchestra!

Sleeping Beauty and her Prince taking their bow.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of."

"One cannot have too large a party."