"Those who tell their own story, you know, must be listened to with caution."

July 26, 2015

Dear Jane,

As I sit at my desk in the comfort of my home in Connecticut, I feel that I am finally at my leisure to write you another satisfactory letter. However, I may be distracted for a few moments as I am currently eating a rather delicious sandwich filled with both peanut butter and raspberry jam. Today, we call this a "PB & J." Ingenious, I know. 

Since my last correspondence, I made the joyous (and wise) decision to spend my summer in Connecticut instead of on the dreadfully hot and expensive island of Manhattan. I cannot describe to you how perfectly happy this decision has made me for not only am I saving money on rent (for I found a nice young lady to let my apartment at last), but I can spend some much longed for time with my dear family. I recognise that it is quite improper for a young lady to speak of pecuniary matters, but I was quite certain that you would pay it no mind, Jane!

Now comes the difficult part of my letter, Jane... remembering what it is that I have done since returning home. Here is where the quotation above (from Sense & Sensibility...a favorite of mine!) shows its true meaning. Since I have a less than perfect memory (as you well know), I shall regale you with stories from my time at home thus far, but I must ask you to read them with caution as the following details may not always be accurate. My sincerest apologies, Jane (and gentle readers). 

My first week at home was spent housekeeping and removing unnecessary possessions from my bed chamber; I must confess that this was quite the undertaking. One never knows quite how many things one has until one comes home for the summer. I did my best to dispose of, sell or gift as many of these possessions and articles of clothing that I could. Anyway, after labouring for a week on this necessary project (filled with long days and even longer nights of such a disordered mess), I finally felt the task was complete and only with this completion could I breathe with more ease and relaxation than ever before. (Pray, understand that this last sentence may be one of those dramatic details that a gentle reader should be cautious of believing, for I have breathed quite easily my entire life regardless of having an untidy bed chamber.)

In addition to the purification of my bed chamber, I also found myself employed by doing almost the exact same task for the law firm that my sister is presently employed with. It is my responsibility to go through a countless number of boxes to find closed cases ten years or older and dispose of them (along with additional items throughout the room). It is worth mentioning that this task must be completed in a dark and dust filled storeroom below the sunlit office above and has a variety of insects and spider webs lurking in every corner. If I am to be honest, I feel rather like Cinderella most days. (Again, caution, gentle readers.) Whilst I was working, I felt that the only way I could truly express my feelings was to write a poem right then and there. It is as follows:


I feel like I am Cinderella. 
But can this be completely true?
We've both worked in dusty basements
doing chores no one else wants to do.
But, I'm getting paid...and she never did.
That being said it is still no fun.
Bugs flying out at me,
I just want to say, "Peace out. I'm done."
But, I can't because I'm poor,
just like dear Cinderella.
But no worries for her,
she got a very handsome and super rich fella.
I guess we're even.

Now, Jane, mock me if you must, but let it be known that I never said that it was a good poem, just that it was in fact, a poem. 

Besides working, I have also had the good fortune to perform in two lovely evenings of song this summer. It is truly wonderful to be able to perform songs that I love alongside dear friends and I am looking forward to performing in one more of these concerts in August.

Let me see now, what else. Ah, yes! My dear mother and I ventured down to Baltimore to visit my grandmother; we had a lovely time and it was so lovely to visit with family. 

Before I conclude my letter, I have but one more story for you as my sister, Rachael, and I had two very silly adventures last week. These adventures began when a very large bookstore called, Barnes & Noble, decided to host a costume contest. Naturally, I had to seize this opportunity with great haste for I had the perfect costume to compete with! I am sure it is easy enough to guess which character I chose to dress up as. Have you guessed yet? Well, as I simply cannot wait for your response to learn whether or not you have guessed correctly, I shall tell you immediately. I dressed up as Elizabeth Bennet on her way to the ball at Netherfield Park, of course! It was such a diverting experience. Rachael and I went to Barnes & Noble, where I proceeded to put on my costume (which consisted of full regency attire) and proceeded to take a superfluity of engaging photos. After seeing how much fun we had, we went back a few days later (to a different Barnes & Noble...) so that we could take more pictures, but this time with me dressed up as Harry Potter! During the second outing, we were found by a rather confused patron of the bookstore, but luckily, Rachael had the good sense to capture the candid moment on camera. We certainly know how to have a charming afternoon!

Elizabeth Bennet reading Pride & Prejudice,
Pride & Prejudice and Zombies,
 and Fifty Shades of Grey...quite the education
for Miss Bennet!
Reading about Mr. Darcy...*sigh*

Mr. Harry Potter, himself!
The lucky patron who joined our magical photo shoot!









That Hedwig certainly is a funny owl.




My mother and I will be travelling to California this coming Wednesday to visit my cousin and his family so I am sure that I will have many more stories for you next time, Jane! So, until then...

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda

Comments

  1. Add my name to the list of those happy you are in the state for the summer. Working in a spider-filled, dusty basement is character building (and cooler that the sweltering NYC summer pavement). #welcomehome

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of."

"One cannot have too large a party."