"One cannot have too large a party."

September 7, 2015

Dear Jane,

I confess that I had no intention of writing another letter so soon after my last, but I dare say the occasion calls for it. I moved back to Queens this past Saturday with the assistance of my wonderful sister, Rachael. It was naturally bitter-sweet (with rather more emphasis on the bitter) for not only is New York exceedingly hot, but my family is not with me here. To make matters worse, I must begin working and auditioning this week. I confess that I already miss my lovely summer in Connecticut, but I understand that as a twenty six year old female it is important to live independently from one's family.

Anyhow, the purpose of my writing this letter is not to complain about moving back to New York (although I have already done just that), but rather to tell you about the Jane Austen Festival in Bath, England. I am sure you would have been very surprised to learn that one day a grand festival would be held entirely in your honor every year. Unfortunately, I have not yet had the opportunity to attend although it is one of my greatest desires to do so. That being said, I have become something of an amateur poet this past year and have decided to write a poem dedicated to the Jane Austen Festival and to the Jane Austen Centre in Bath (which just so happens to be one of my favourite places in England).  It is as follows:


The Jane Austen Festival
I have heard is sublime
so it saddens me that I
cannot make it this time.

I hope I can get there
in the next couple of years,
so enjoy it for those not there,
your Jane Austen peers.

Please, dance and be merry
talk of Jane through the night
and have some tea just for me
after dawn’s early light.

For the great Promenade
you will wear your regency best
but don’t forget when you’re tired
it is important to rest,

I recommend the Grand Pump room
though it may be crowded and gay
I confess that I shall envy
you all while you play!

Imagine you’re in Persuasion
(my favorite Austen story)
and maybe you’ll share in
Anne Elliot’s glory

The great costume ball
will be such a delight
after all Captain Wentworth
may find you that night.

I wish you great memories
and especially great weather
So, thank you to the Jane Austen Centre
for bringing Janeites together!

As I am sure you can gather, it is my firm opinion that one can never have too large a party (especially where Miss Jane Austen is concerned) and this festival is going to be quite the party! Now, I shall keep this letter short as I have already taken up so much of your time as of late. I do hope you have enjoyed reading my poem and learning about this special festival. I for one, cannot wait to go some day.

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda 

P.S. Should there be any janeites interested in learning more about this fantastic event, visit: http://www.janeaustenfestivalbath.co.uk 

Comments

  1. You're a poet,
    And I didn't know it!

    As summer winds down
    the leaves begin turning
    and pumpkin spice everything is back

    It's not quite as hot
    which I'm liking a lot
    but darkness comes too early in fact

    It was nice while it lasted
    your presence was great
    but like all good things it must end

    So back to work now
    and into the future
    and the next adventure, my friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nay, sir! YOU are a poet and I didn't know it!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"Oh! Do not attack me with your watch. A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated to by a watch."

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of."