"Vanity working on a weak head produces every sort of mischief."

November 3, 2015

Dear Jane,

It has (once again) been far too long since last I wrote to you, dear friend, although I do not believe that I should be blamed entirely for this. One never realizes how easily time slips away from one each day, but even more distressing than this however is the notion that once time is gone, there is nothing one can do to get it back! I must confess that I hardly know what to write in this letter for I have two rather conflicting thoughts: the first is that nothing much has occurred as of late and the second is that despite not much occurring, there is still far too much to write about! (Nothing so exciting really, just rather the fact that over thirty days have come and gone since my last letter reached you and life has inevitably gone on as it always does.)

If I may, I cannot help but think that I have written some particularly wise words thus far in my letter, Jane... how very lovely, indeed!

Oh dear, I fear that I became too pleased with myself just now and should quit whilst I am ahead. Unfortunately, that will not do as I have committed to writing you a letter today. So, I shall put my vanity aside, continue my letter as planned and do my best not to think of myself as an immensely clever writer for one more moment. What was I thinking of, Jane?(You can see why I chose the above quotation from Emma. One should not let their vanity cloud their better judgement for as you can see, vanity working on a weak head is just as perilous today as it was two hundred years ago when you wrote it for dear Emma.)

When last I wrote it was September and I dare say that I am not especially fond of this particular month for it has none of October's autumnal charm. One only has to close one’s eyes and feel the brisk, fall air to understand why October is the most pleasant month of the entire year; I only wish that it had not departed so swiftly. Fall always comes and goes in the blink of an eye (much to my utter dismay). Luckily, November is quite a lovely month as well and I can now look forward to Thanksgiving. 

Now, as I mentioned before, life has been continuing on as it always does. I have recently began working for a temp agency (unfortunately, I could not find more "regency" appropriate words for this phrase... I gather that it should also be noted that you most likely do not understand the term "regency" either as it was not used during your lifetime to describe the era that you lived in). I digress. Anyway, I have been working more so that means more money, which is always a good thing for a single girl with a dreadful propensity for being poor in New York City (a play on your words there, Jane. Also, I realize that I show a lack of propriety by speaking of finances. My apologies, dear friend.)

I recently retrurned from a weekend in Connecticut where I spent Halloween (a favourite holiday of mine) with my family (giving out candy to young... as well as surprisingly old, trick or treaters and watching "Hocus Pocus") as well as attended my dear friend's wedding. It was a lovely weekend filled with friends, family, agreeable weather and splendid foliage. I was also fortunate enough to purchase a new goblet in honor of Halloween; I dare say I am quite fond of it.
In case the picture is unclear, my
new goblet says: "Drink Up, Witches."
There have of course been more events that I have not mentioned since last I wrote, both good (for instance, I visited my friend Leah in Philadelphia, my talented friend Meg of New Day Photography took new headshots for me, I performed in a cabaret and I attended a Harry Potter trivia night with my roommates! Our team name was the "Roomies of Requirement") and "meh" (a term meaning "not great, but not the most terrible." For instance, going on a few rather vexing auditions and not receiving employment offers from various theaters). 

Harry Potter Trivia answer sheets!
In front of Independence Hall with Leah!

One of my new headshots...thanks Meg!
Besides those diverting adventures listed above, I also attended a wonderful conference at the end of October with my sister Rachael called "Emma at 200" at the New School. This conference was entirely dedicated to the fact that your brilliant novel, Emma will turn two hundred years old this December and is undoubtedly still just as relevant and beloved in this, the Year of Our Lord, two-thousand and fifteen (another reason I chose the above quotation). There were many interesting speakers, discussions and of course, tea! 

A collage of pictures from this delightful day.
So you so see, much as happened, but in the grand scheme things, nothing really at all either. I am not distressed at this thought though for I have had a very pleasant autumn thus far. Thank you, as always for indulging my whims and stories by reading my letters, Jane (and gentle readers!), it truly means so much to me.

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of."

"Oh! Do not attack me with your watch. A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated to by a watch."