"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid."

January 19, 2016

Dear Jane,


As you may have noticed, this letter looks rather different from those of the past. In truth, I was becoming quite bored with the color scheme of the last few years and decided that a nice blue would certainly liven up the first letter of this, the Year of Lord, two-thousand and sixteen. How exciting. It is almost as though I revived a tired, old bonnet with new lace and fresh ribbons. After all, we must do what we can to stay fashionable in these ever changing times.


Firstly, I must bid you a much belated, "Happy New Year!" I am appalled that it has taken me so long to wish you (and my gentle readers) glad tidings and a new year filled with happiness and good fortune. The idea of a new year is much like that of a blank page. As the authors of our own stories, we have the ability to write a new tale filled with hope, imagination and adventure...we just have to be fearless and creative enough to begin it!

Now, that being said, my new year has started off rather slowly, but it is only January! Pray, epic adventures take time, do they not? 

Since the new year, I am proud to say that I have already read five books and I have enjoyed them all immensly and highly recommend them to fellow readers. They are:

  1. The Einstein Prophecy by Robert Masello
  2. Jane By the Sea by Carolyn V. Murray
  3. The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff
  4. Peter and the Starcatchers by Ridley Pearson and Dave Barry
  5. Royal Wedding by Meg Cabot
Thus far, these books have provided daring adventure, a dash of history, irresistible romances, brilliant wisdom and the most enchanting magic. I dare say I cannot think of a better way to start off the new year! In truth, I am determined to read fifty books this year and often recall this quote from Northanger Abbey:"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." To be sure, these may be harsh words, but they are undoubtedly true. I confess that I love this quote not only because of how perfect it is, in and out of context, but because it was said by the wonderful Mr. Henry Tilney (a dashing, young gentleman of fine moral fiber who appreciates a good novel). 

Now, I must confess that I am quite ashamed though in my defense, I have only just remembered what I am about to tell you. Here I am saying that I have not yet had any adventures in the New Year when on the first of January I took a spontaneous trip to Washington D.C. to visit my dear sister, Rachael. We had the most splendid time exploring the city and spending time together. Not to mention, I indulged in a slice of pizza that was roughly the size of my face, Jane. (How I wish you could have tried pizza!) 


They call this a "jumbo slice." It was delicious
and I feel no shame in saying that I
had no trouble at all finishing it.
There you have it, my reading list and one of my first adventures of the new year. I dare say I must begin the day now as I have much to do. Until next time!

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda

Comments

  1. My goal is 50 books as well! I'm off to a slower start than you are, but I am excited to see if I reach my goal. Last year it was 15 (but I did not decide that until September), and I more than doubled it. So I figured 50 was a more legitimate challenge. I'm also glad to hear Royal Wedding was good. Here I thought I finished the entire series and Meg Cabot pops out yet another book. But no complaints on that here ;)

    theblacktressdiaries.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"Oh! Do not attack me with your watch. A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated to by a watch."

"One cannot have too large a party."