"I dare say I shall catch it; and my sore-throats, you know, are always worse than anybody’s."

March 19, 2016

Dear Jane,


I do hate to complain, but I must confess to being quite ill as of late. I believe in my heart that I have a sinus infection (but I often believe myself to be suffering from sinus infections, you know). I dare say, I am rather like your character Mary Musgrove (née Elliot) of Persuasion who famously said the above-listed quotation. As you well know, Mary always fancies herself indisposed but this particular time, however, I really am! I had no intention of specifically using this quote, but I should not be surprised as I just finished re-reading Persuasion (a great favorite of mine!). 


Since last I wrote to you, I celebrated my twenty-seventh birthday...goodness me, I am getting old! However, I have decided that I quite like this age as it is exactly the age of Anne Elliot in Persuasion and as she is one of my favorite literary heroines, why should not I be happy with twenty-seven? Much can happen to a woman at the age of twenty-seven and I am convinced that I shall meet my own Captain Wentworth (a close second to Mr. Darcy in terms of favorite literary gentlemen) this year.



A most useful journal.
Now, since becoming sick, I must report that this van-tour life just does not agree with me anymore...although, I must ask myself: did it ever? I think not. I am sure you will not be surprised to learn that I am in posession of a very fine 5-year Jane Austen-themed journal in which I write a sentence for every day of the year for five years. As I went to write my sentence for today, I came to find out that I was sick on this day last year as well! In terms of my health, March has historically been a very poor month for me indeed, which is very unhappy as it is my birth month. Anyway, I vow here and now to not be on a van-tour next March or any March thereafter! Vans are no place for ladies with weak constitutions such as mine. I dare say I have not had a pleasant countenance for weeks as a result of this tour! Some could remark that I even appear quite altered (I am looking at you Captain Wentworth), and not for the better.

Nevertheless, I feel very fortunate to have today off; I fear that if there had been a show today, I would have had to croak through it as though I were a common frog...not that anyone in my new cast would have noticed. I dare say my illness has passed right under their noses (although I have had it for a week now) and I had very little goodwill towards anyone in the van yesterday as a result. It is all well, however, as I am almost through with this second Miss Nelson adventure. Oh my, I do sound very much like Mary Musgrove and Mrs. Bennet right now. Ah well, we can't all of us be charming Lizzy Bennets or gracious Anne Elliots every day! 


#Sick
I hate to write such a short letter but as I have nothing to do but complain at the moment, I shall cease writing immediately. In truth, I would not want you to suffer or feel dreadful on my account. It is my sincerest hope that you and all of my gentle readers stay healthy as we transition from winter to spring this weekend.

I pray our next correspondence brings happier tidings, Jane!


Yours Faithfully,


Amanda 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"Oh! Do not attack me with your watch. A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated to by a watch."

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of."