“A little sea-bathing would set me up forever.”

July 14, 2016

Dear Jane,


We are most certainly in the midst of an exceedingly hot summer and unfortunately, there is no end in sight for my continual state of inelegance. That being said, Jane, one must not be too bothered by such a state as there really is no hope of a cure for it during the summer months! Additionally, it has become my steadfast belief that a lady must not be judged for her inelegance, especially if she perspires greatly whilst riding in a New York City subway car during the months of July and August.


The summer is not all bad, though, Jane, as one is bound to partake in exciting diversions throughout the season. I am most happy that I have had several such diversions, some in which I even visited the seaside! Whilst there, I often found myself thinking about how charming it would be if we still used bathing machines while swimming in the ocean. I dare say many young ladies and gentlemen would feel hindered by it, seeing as one is unable to move about freely whilst inside the device. I, however, feel it is the perfect solution for one (such as myself) who does not particularly enjoy parading about in a scandalous bathing costume! I do hope to return to the ocean before the summer is out, for much like Mrs. Bennet, "a little sea-bathing would indeed set me up forever."


Now, since last I wrote, I have had the enormous pleasure of visiting my home in Connecticut. How can I impart to you how truly wonderful it was, Jane? Oh, how I adore being home! Whilst visiting, I was able to spend time with both friends and family and saw two local musical productions. The first was, "Footloose" at Musicals at Richter and the other was "A Chorus Line" at Playhouse on Park. Both theatricals featured dear friends of mine and were exceedingly diverting performances.

The "Asshole." Poor mother!

During my time at home, my parents and I attended an American picnic of sorts, known as a "barbecue," to commemorate our country's independence from your beloved England. The affair was graciously held at the home of my dear sister and her husband, Regina and Adam; it was the most terrific fun, Jane! I must confess that we played a game of cards that was quite different than that of Whist, though. This particular card game was called (please, do excuse my appalling language) Asshole. You will not be surprised to learn that it was introduced to our party by my blackguard of a brother-in-law, Adam. (I use that term as an endearment, of course.) Can you imagine! To say that there were hearty laughs had by all is quite the understatement. My poor mother became the "asshole" so often that we found ourselves saying things like, "Calm down, Asshole," and "Clear the cards, Asshole." Fortunately, my mother has a most splendid sense of humour and all was well. 


You will, I hope, be happy to learn, Jane, that more travel is on my horizon and I am once again reminded of your wonderful quotation from Northanger Abbey, "If adventures will not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad." I dare say I am quite ready to do just that. Now, it was all rather spontaneous, but my dear friend (and housemate), Darcie, and I will be travelling to the great city of Portland, Oregon in August. I confess that it is a city I have always wanted to visit as it is home to one of the world's largest book stores, Powell's Books.  I confess that when I speak of my impending adventure to friends, most end up saying something along the lines of: "You WOULD fly to Portland to go to a bookstore." In truth, Jane, I am also going for their highly distinguished "craft" beer and coffee. Also, nature...I suppose. Needless to say I am all anticipation and excitement when I think of our upcoming journey!



A photo by Yours Faithfully.
Wineysquire working hard!
The last adventure I wish to share with you took place this past Saturday on a magical island called, "Governor's Island." This special island is just a fifteen minute ferry ride away from the larger island of Manhattan, both are just off the coast of America. It was here that I spent a charming day listening to music, eating crisps and drinking chilled rosé with my eldest sister, Regina (whom I like to call Wineysquire, though she prefers Wineesquire). Although we dreadfully missed our beloved sister, Rachael, who still resides in Washington D.C., we did have a most excellent time. The event was called, "Pinknic," which was truly a charming name as we all sat about on pink blankets in a park drinking pink wine. In truth, it is most satisfactory to have a sister who acquires prestigious invitations to exciting events such as this!
Enjoying our rosé at Pinknic!

Bookishly Yours, Amanda

Currently Reading: The History of Love by Nicole Krauss

This novel tells the interweaving stories of three different characters that all revolve around one very special book that was written in Poland during the 1930's/40's. This singular book called, The History of Love (a book within a book, you see), was written in tribute to a young woman named, Alma, by a boy who loved her with all his heart despite being separated from her. The reader slowly learns how it uniquely connects the different characters and how each one's life has been and continues to be affected by this one book seventy years later. Unfortunately, I must confess that it has not been as engaging of a read as I initially hoped it would be. I borrowed it from my library because it immediately reminded me of one of my favorite novels, Shadow of the Wind. Now, while there are definitely some nice similarities between the two, The History of Love just did not grab and keep my attention the way the former was able to. I will say, however, that there is a palpable, underlying magic throughout this book that has kept me hoping for the best and now that I have reached a pivotal turning point in the story, I cannot wait to finish it.

I am sure I have not mentioned everything that I wished to, Jane, so if I find I have forgotten anything I will happily write you another letter in the near future!

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"Oh! Do not attack me with your watch. A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated to by a watch."

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of."