Remembering Jane

July 18, 2016

Dear Jane,

Although it saddens me to pen a letter to you on this day, the 199th anniversary of your untimely passing, it also gives me great joy as so many admirers are paying tribute to your extraordinary life and talent. As a faithful Janeite, I would be remiss if I did not do so as well. Now, as I often find myself writing short poems to express my feelings, it should come as no surprise to you that I was inspired to write one this morning to commemorate this bittersweet occasion. It is as follows:

Remembering Jane
A watercolor of you painted by
your beloved sister, Cassandra.
By: Amanda Forker

How we wish we could have met you,
Our dearest Jane Austen,
For in all of your stories,
We find ourselves lost in.

We thank you for the heroines,
And the fine heroes you wrote,
For on them your loyal Janeites,
Will surely always dote.

Miss Austen, you have bewitched us,
Both body and soul,
And because of your novels,
We Janeites are whole.

So we remember you today,
On the day that you passed,
And pray rest assured,
Your great legacy will last.


I humbly thank you for your novels, Jane. They have brought me such comfort and joy thus far in my life! I only hope that everyone has the opportunity to experience the sisterly bond between Elinor & Marianne, the moment dear Elizabeth first sees the grounds at Pemberley, Fanny & Edmund's journey to love, Emma's questionable matchmaking skills, Catherine's wild imagination and the beautiful reunion of Anne and Captain Wentworth. Here's to another one hundred and ninety nine years of being "lost in Austen!"

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"Oh! Do not attack me with your watch. A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated to by a watch."

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of."