"Jane Austen is the pinnacle to which all other authors aspire." ~J.K. Rowling

August 13, 2016

Dear Jane,


Firstly, I must confess that I began this letter on the fifth of August, however, I am ashamed to say that it is now the thirteenth of August and it is still yet to be sent (posted). Time so easily gets away from one during the summer months! Now, I dare say I have had a great many outings of late and I heartily wish to tell you of them all, Jane. Not only have I once again travelled to our Nation's Capital, Washington DC, but I experienced a most magical resurgence of a beloved boy wizard named Harry Potter, journeyed around New York City with my dear Mama and had a "visit to Lyme" with some lovely, kind and amazingly dedicated Janeites.


Washington D.C.

The lovely set up at Lady Camellia.

Now, as I mentioned above, I had the great pleasure of journeying to Washington DC to visit one of my beloved sisters, Rachael, as well as my dear friend, Carolyn. Luckily, Carolyn is not a Caroline or I should be forced to think of Caroline Bingley at every meeting! Whilst in this exciting city, I, along with my sister, Carolyn and a few other intelligent and well-bred young ladies, went to high tea at a most delightful tea room in Georgetown called Lady Camellia. The food and beverages were truly exquisite and even though it was one of the hottest days of the entire season, we were still able to enjoy ourselves whilst delighting in lovely refreshments and even lovelier conversation. After our tea, Carolyn and I parted ways with my sister and her companions for a spell but were once again reunited later that evening. You should know that a spontaneous dance party began in Rachael's charming abode once we were all gathered together again, though, only Rachael and myself participated in said dance party. Happily, whilst reminiscing just now, I thought of a most splendid phrase: "When a Beyonce song play, Amanda and Rachael slay."

The ladies of tea.
Carolyn and I!

Later, whilst I was staying with Carolyn and her husband at their charming home in Virginia, I had the immense pleasures of catching up as only old friends can, visiting her local swimming hole (better known as a swimming pool), eating delicious pizza and seeing a hysterical filmed theatrical (movie) called, "Ghostbusters: Answer the Call." It was such a pleasure to visit with my dear friend and I dare say, although our endeavors were much more modern, it was just like when Elizabeth Bennet visited Charlotte Lucas in her new home at Hunsford Parsonage in Pride & Prejudice.



My darling sister, Rachael...
 and her side-eye.
Unfortunately, the end of my trip was not nearly as lovely because the hired coach that was to take me back to New York was most unsatisfactory, Jane. To my utter dismay there was no air conditioning or air flow where I was sitting and it was quite literally as hot as Africa. Coaches today, while most likely more endurable than when you travelled in them, are still not without their troubles. But, all's well that end's well for I arrived safely and was most likely a pound thinner as a result of all the sweating I did on my journey home. 

Harry Potter (Bookishly Yours, Amanda)


To say that this has been a magical time in the lives of "Potterheads" everywhere is quite the understatement, Jane, and I am all excitement when I recall my own experience regarding the release of the highly-anticipated script book, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. It has truly taken the world by storm!

Getting sorted when out of
no where someone shouted:
"Gryffindor!"
It made my night.

Let me begin by saying that never in my wildest dreams did I imagine there would be another midnight release of a Harry Potter book; I thought such joyous occassions were things of the past! Luckily, however, my wildest dreams have indeed come true. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child was released at midnight on the 31st of July in the Year of Our Lord, two-thousand and sixteen. This particular date is so special not only because it is Harry Potter's birthday but also the birthday of his beloved authoress, J.K. Rowling. I am not sure if I have yet mentioned this to you, Jane, but it is a truth universally acknowledged that Ms. Rowling is quite an admirer of yours. In fact she has even said that, "Jane Austen is the pinnacle to which all other authors aspire." If only you could know how perfectly happy such a statement makes me! Not only is Ms. Rowling absolutely correct, but it makes my heart burst with happiness knowing that my favorite contemporary author has such regard and esteem for my favorite all-time author.

Me, Stephanie & Leah with our books!

Now, to return to my account of the newest addition to the Harry Potter series. It just so happened that I was at home in Connecticut (in order to attend a bridal shower for an old school friend) on the same weekend as the release of the new book (or play, rather). Luckily, I was able to organize a late night outing with my dear friends, Stephanie and Leah, so that we could be amongst the first readers to purchase the book at midnight. It was really rather touching because we ended up going to the same Barnes & Noble that we went to for the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows nine years ago. Please excuse my sentimental Potter-spirit, but I cannot help but think to myself, "After all this time? Always." Cue the tears, Jane!


In order to "keep the secrets," I will not divulge any spoilers from this delightful play. I will say that I greatly enjoyed reading it and loved becoming familiar once more with such beloved (and some not so beloved...) characters. I truly hope that Harry Potter devotees near and far may have the opportunity to read it as soon as may be.  How I wish I could attend the play in London! I shall not give up hope, though, for as they say...it could happen!

This is what you call, "no shame," Jane. I stood up
with the children for the costume contest.
I did not win.

Journeying with Mama

Such lovely sights were seen on our
river cruise! Here we have
the Brooklyn Bridge and the
Freedom Tower in the background.
The Liberty Ladies!

My dear mother came to visit me in the village of Queens last week and we had a most agreeable time together. I confess that I have just finished reading Anne of Green Gables (how you would have loved it, Jane!) so I feel that the only way to describe my mother is that she is most certainly a kindred spirit and a bosom friend. Whilst she stayed with me we journeyed to Gantry Plaza State Park and walked along the East River (thank you, Google Maps), took a boat ride along the Hudson River and past the Statue of Liberty, visitied the Morgan Library and ate such wonderfully cheap and delicious, $0.99 pizza. 


Dearest Mama experiencing
rush hour on a very
crowded subway train.
This was most certainly a "stay-cation." If you are not familiar with the term, it is when you vacation where you live and I must acknowledge that it is ever so much less trying than an actual vacation...which I will be going on in less than a week. I am bound for Portland, Oregon next Wednesday!


Visit to Lyme

Ah, yes, my latest adventure. I had the distinct pleasure of being invited on the JASNA Juvenilia trip to Lyme this year, Jane! How you would have loved to be one of the party. The ladies of the group cleverly plan a trip to Long Beach, Long Island (as it would be rather difficult to actually get to Lyme, England) where one of their members graciously extends an invitation to her charming abode near the ocean. We all travelled together on the Long Island Railroad and then made our way to the ocean front. 


Ah, the glories of Lyme!
I mean, Long Beach...!
What a view to look out on every morning!
How I wish it were mine!
Once we arrived at the appointed destination, we enjoyed a great many refreshments and spoke of everything from you and your beloved novels to... I cannot tell a lie; you and your beloved novels dominated a great deal of our conversation- I was in heaven, of course. After a short spell, we made our way down to the water where we enjoyed both cloudy and sunny skies as well as amusing (and rather rough) ocean waves and bookish conversation. I must confess that to be in a group of ladies who use bath towels rather than actual beach towels (yes, there is most certainly a difference), enjoy cloud-covered beach days rather than sunny ones and wear sensible bathing costumes was truly a breath of fresh air. After we had our fill of sand and sea, we decided it was high time for pizza (I do believe I have been eating far too much pizza, Jane! I should do my utmost to remedy this...should being the most important word there) and a small group of us walked to the shop to pick it up. After eating and conversing, we then gathered in the charming parlour room and watched a romantic filmed theatrical entitled, "Bright Star." It is the story of poet, John Keats and his beloved, Fanny. Needless to say, there were not many dry eyes amongst us! It was a truly lovely day amongst new friends.

There you have it, Jane- a detailed account of my life of late. Have I not much to be thankful for with so many diverting outings? I will do my best to take detailed notes during my time in Portland so that I may tell you all about it when I return! Until next time...


Yours Faithfully,


Amanda 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"Oh! Do not attack me with your watch. A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated to by a watch."

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of."