"...And they are much to be pitied...who have not been given a taste for Nature in early life. "

September 10, 2016

Dear Jane,

I must confess that the thought of writing you a letter which perfectly conveys through words not only my adventures in Portland, Oregon, but also my time since returning is quite daunting. In fact, I have even been coming up with every excuse not to do so! For some nameless reason (perhaps laziness?), I detest having to write detailed accounts of events in my life (which may come as a surprise since I have been writing letters to you since the Year of Our Lord, Two-Thousand and Thirteen), but that is precisely why I must force myself to follow through and write them. After all, you know as well as anyone that if I do not record these memories there is little chance of my remembering them in the years or even days to come. Happily, once I begin writing I soon realize that the dread was all in the anticipation and not in the actual act of writing...for the most part.

Now, I shall do my utmost to provide a diverting and detailed account of my delightful days in the great state of Oregon but I have decided to make this letter Part one of two as there really is too much to tell you of in just one letter. 

Wednesday 17 August 2016: Our first day began rather like the movie, "Home Alone," when everyone slept in on the day of the family flight to Paris. Luckily however, Darcie and I were not forced to rush around quite as much as the McCallister family and we did not leave anyone behind. An exciting beginning is it not? I could hardly believe that I slept through all five of my alarms, Jane, but luckily Darcie had the good sense to realize that I was not yet awake and came into my room to make sure that I did so. How fortunate, indeed, to be travelling with a friend!
The sunrise at JFK airport!

Now, I am happy to relate that we had a most satisfactory flight to the Pacific Northwest and soon found ourselves on the outskirts of Portland. We easily found our way to the hostel that we were staying in for the night and deposited our luggage there so that we could explore the city without any hindrances. 

As we began wandering about, we recalled our plan to enjoy a short hike on our first day in order to counteract all of the hours that we were forced to sit on the airplane. (In truth, I never mind sitting for long periods of time and I often envy those who cannot abide it. It is the standing and walking that I cannot love, Jane.) Filled with both anticipation and a touch of weariness from our travels, we relied on our questionable intuitions and the kindness of Portland natives to find our way to the *ahem* bottom of the Wildwood Trail. I must confess that when I hear the word “trail,” I think of a leisurely walk through a magical forest…. how very rude THAT awakening was, Jane. (Most tourists begin near the top of the Wildwood Trail, you see, but we had no way of knowing that at the time.) 
My series of selfies- hopefully this
paints a clearer picture for you.

Whilst on our journey through the woods, I admit that I said some things and made some noises that I am not proud of. Happily, Darcie, being a bosom friend, did not hold any of it against me. To say that I was not at my most ladylike is the understatement of the century, but in my defense that dreadful hike would not end! To paint a more precise picture for you, when all was said and done we had hiked nearly eleven miles round trip and nothing in the world could have prepared me for it. Luckily, when we FINALLY reached the top of the mountain (I just assume it was the top as we had been walking for what felt like days) we arrived at the beautiful Pittock Mansion. You should know that nothing but my need to feel the modern marvel that is air conditioning could have made me enter such a beautiful estate looking so uncouth. In truth, I looked as though I had been lost in the midst of a desert for three weeks without food or water while Darcie looked like she had merely been walking through a field of daisies. In fact, whereas Mr. Darcy would have found her eyes brightened by the exercise, I fear that if he had beheld me when I emerged from the “trail,” he would have transformed into Colonel Darcy from Pride & Prejudice and Zombies and struck me down for fear that I had become one of the dreaded undead. And to think, that was only our first day, Jane!

Darcie practicing her yoga
whenever she could! Most inspiring.

The Pittock Mansion and the lovely views from the hike.
It truly was worth it when all was said and done.






















Refreshed and ready for Day 2!
Thursday 18 August 2016: After such an exhausting first day, you can imagine that we were quite tired the next morning and did not wish to immediately find a new hiking “trail” to begin our second day with. Even with the time difference and coming out of a rather fitful sleep (the hostel environment, while clean and very nice, was not one I was used to as it was basically a dormitory for adults…who are complete strangers) it turned out that I was still an early riser. After waking, I soon found myself in the peaceful hostel dining area where I wrote in my journal and enjoyed delicious coffee and freshly baked bread. It was divine and exactly the sort of morning one wishes to have whilst on holiday in Portland, Oregon. As I was eating I also happened to make polite conversation with a British gentleman who was making his way to Virginia in order to catch a cargo ship back to England. It was the most interesting and delightful conversation but I regret that I failed to ask his name! (Do not be excited on my behalf, Jane, for this was an older gentleman of the married persuasion.)
Ever so excited, Jane. 

The Jane Austen section! 
Once Darcie awoke and we had some more coffee, we began our day with a short walk to Powell’s City of Books. You may remember that I had been waiting ever so long to visit the fine literary establishment and once I arrived, all I wished to do was sit in the Jane Austen section and read each and every one of the books there. Unfortunately, we could not spend too much time inside the store as we were committed to going on a free walking tour of the city later that morning.

Our charming tour guide!
The guided tour turned out to be both enjoyable and informative even though it was over two hours long and the day was exceedingly hot. Oh, how I wish I had been able to experience the famed Portland rain! Anyway, our tour ended across the street from the famous donut shop called Voodoo Donuts and it was there that I purchased a Maple Bacon Donut. If you must know, I still visit that donut shop in my dreams, Jane. 

Afterwards we took yet another long walk, this time led by Darcie, to a rather industrial area of Portland. To say that I was less than pleased is again, an understatement, but in hindsight it really is remarkably funny to think about. It reminded me of when I was a little girl and my family was on vacation in Colorado. We were all hiking up a mountain when my dear sister, Rachael, would not cease her bitter complaints about being hungry and tired. My mother was forced to push her along and coax her up the hill by promising her food when we got to the top. Oh, how I laugh aloud just thinking of that trip! Anyhow, that was basically Darcie and I on our second long walk of the day. All I wanted was food and a cold pint of ale so we were eventually forced to stop at a bar in order to appease my aching feet and hungry tummy.

Such an impressive selfie.
We may have indulged in our
cocktails by this point... 
THE DONUT.
After making polite conversation with our barman (who gifted us a delicious free cocktail after our pints of ale) and sharing a slice of pizza (at my request), both Darcie and I were a little on the tipsy side. The day was not to be over, however, as we were engaged to meet Darcie's friend at a restaurant nearby. With slightly muddled thoughts, exceedingly chafed thighs and no sense of direction, I did what any young lady in my position would have done: I hired a chaise and four (AKA Lyft) to bring us to our next destination. Not to give myself airs, but that was one of my better decisions that day.

At the restaurant I had the pleasures of both meeting one of Darcie’s childhood friends, Jarod, and eating my first full plate of barbeque wings. Even though it was delicious, it was also very messy, Jane, and not at all a proper food for a young lady to eat in public. We then accompanied Jarod back to the town he resides in, as we would be spending the next few days exploring some of Oregon’s beautiful scenic areas with him.


Rivendell...I mean, Multnomah Falls.
Friday 19 August 2016: Let me first say that hiking, whilst invigorating, should never be used as a substitute for coffee. I realized this too late, however, as Darcie, Jarod and I began hiking the“trails” of Multnomah Falls. Please do not misunderstand me, Jane. This waterfall was absolutely breathtaking and I could not help but revel in its majesty and might. I imagined that I was in The Lord of the Rings, for to gaze upon it was to feel as though you were in the mystical Elven town of Rivendell. In short, it was heavenly and I thoroughly enjoyed being there.

The hikers...and Amanda.
Unfortunately, I was, for lack of a better word, forced to go on another hike up a very steep mountain. I hesitate to use the words forced and unfortunately because these hikes were really very beautiful and very good for my health, but every time I came to one of those cursed “switchbacks” (AKA sharp turns that lead to yet another steep hill), I nearly swooned. As we continued to make our way up the mountain, I could tell my companions did not wish to leave me behind (Darcie truly is a most considerate friend), but the thought of having such skilled hikers wait for me was quite unbearable. I implored them to go ahead of me so that I could be free to cheerfully suffer in silence at my own pace. Luckily, there were only ELEVEN of those switchbacks and I was soon treated to the beautiful view that awaited us at the top. 

The Lake of Shining Waters.
(Anne Shirley would
have adored it!)
Once we made our way back down the mountain, Jarod drove us to a beautiful, freshwater lake where we all swam about for a spell. It was quite chilly but I was so very glad to have had the experience. One has no way of knowing if or when one will return to Oregon to swim in a lake of shining waters, after all.

After our lake adventure, Jarod suggested we visit a restaurant which was well known for it’s delicious hamburgers. Now, I do not wish to dismiss the glorious sights of our nature adventures that morning, but the hamburger I ate was truly divine, Jane. And what’s more, I was content in knowing that I truly earned it as a result of my morning exertions.  

I found a wee hobbit hole.
It should be noted that for some reason, throughout the whole of the morning, I kept saying things like, “I can’t believe it is Wednesday,” and “Well, I guess it is a Wednesday after all,” and “This is not bad for Wednesday traffic.” It did not dawn on me until the afternoon that it was in fact, Friday. My companions assured me that they had barely noticed but oh, how I laughed and laughed, Jane.


A breathtaking view.












Much like Fanny Price of Mansfield Park, I can now say with certainty that no one will ever have to pity me for I have been given a most satisfying taste of nature this summer. (But again, I wish you to know that I thoroughly enjoyed my forays in 'the nature' whilst I was in Oregon.) To be sure, this is already a most detailed letter so I do not wish to tire your eyes with anymore of my silly anecdotes just now. I will be sure to write again soon so that I may I relate to you the rest of our adventures. As you can see, we had a most diverting trip, Jane!

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"Oh! Do not attack me with your watch. A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated to by a watch."

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of."