Happy New Year, Gentle Readers!

December 31, 2016

Dear Jane,

How I have been longing to write you a letter this past month! Pray, forgive my long absence from corresponding for I dare say I have found myself rather busy of late. In truth, now that the last day in the Year-of-Our-Lord, two-thousand and sixteen, has come upon us, I could not have let it pass without writing to my most favorite authoress.

Firstly, you must think me the most terrible blackguard in the world for not writing to you on your birthday! I want you to know that I had a delightful cup of tea on the sixteenth of December to mark your two-hundred and forty-first year. How glad I am that you were born, Miss Austen! Your faithful Janeites would be quite lost without you.

Now, Jane, since last I wrote much has changed. About two weeks before Thanksgiving, I quit my apartment in Queens and removed to Connecticut. I wish you to know that this was a most difficult decision to make and I already miss my wonderful friends there. However, the realization set in that New York City just is not where I am meant to be at this time. (And to Manhattan I would like to specifically say, "Smell ya later.") In truth, I am learning that no matter how old one gets, home truly is where the heart is...and mine is in Connecticut! Just listen to all this nonsense, Jane! The end of the year has me emoting rather too much I dare say.


                                 

Since moving back to this great, little state of Connecticut, I have been tirelessly performing and rehearsing for three different theatricals at the fine establishment, Playhouse on Park. The first was a children's production called, "Pinkalicious", the second is a rather unwholesome (and deliciously fun) burlesque show entitled, "Mama D's Christmas Stocking" and the third is a charming musical which will take place in the month of January called, [title of show]. After not performing for most of this year, Jane, these theatricals quickly got me up and singing again and it has been ever so delightful...and tiring. Happily, I have both reconnected with old friends and made some wonderful new ones since returning and I truly believe that when one finally chooses to a close door, a new one will readily open and be the gateway to one's next adventure.

Unfortunately, I fear that since moving home I have not had enough time to read as much as usual, which truly saddens me. That being said, I am confident that the New Year shall inspire me to read with vigour once again. It is just such a charming pursuit that I should hate to forsake it.

Now, before I leave my journey in New York behind, I will say that I had some captivating excursions before I left. I shall list them below, Jane:
  • I attended a JASNA-sponsored discussion with the film director of Love & Friendship, Whit Stillman, at the Library of the General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen of New York. This was a most delightful evening in which Mr. Stillman gave us an inside look into how he adapted and filmed your novella, Lady Susan.
  • I visited the divine New York Public Library again in order to see the newly renovated Rose Reading Room as well as the original Winnie-the-Pooh stuffed animals. It need not be mentioned that I already miss this charming establishment greatly.

  • I also journeyed to the State of Liberty with my dear friends, Stephanie & Leah this past November. We traversed all the way up to the top of Lady Liberty's crown, Jane! What a sight (but more importantly, what a climb)! We also visited the Ellis Island Museum which was just so poignant when one compares it with our current political climate. Not only was it a lovely day with some wonderful ladies, but it also made me realize how much I have to be thankful for in my life.                  
  
  • I had my final visit (of 2016) to one of my favorite establishments on the island of Manhattan: The Morgan Museum and Library. I had the pleasure of visiting the Morgan with some ladies of the JASNA juvenilia group and we walked around the Charlotte Bronte exhibit one last time. (I believe I visited it three times this Fall- it was just so wonderful!) I will never not be in awe of Mr. Morgan's library. How I wish you could have seen it, Jane!

             

Well, Jane, I suppose this letter will have to suffice for the time being and I am sure it will come as no surprise to you that one of my resolutions for the new year is to write to you more often! I will not be so ambitious as to suggest I shall write once every fortnight, but perhaps something close to it. And to all of my dear friends and gentle readers, I wish you and your loved ones the happiest and healthiest of New Years. Until 2017, I remain...

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of."

"One cannot have too large a party."