Jane at 200...!

February 11, 2017

Dear Jane,

By now you must think that I have completely forsaken you, my dear friend, but pray, believe me when I say that nothing could be further from the truth. I confess that I have been overcome by this newest transition in my life and I could not find it within myself to sit down and write you a letter before now. Transistions, as you know, can be very difficult to come to terms with, Jane. Moving away from my little abode in Queens, coming home to Connecticut and performing in three different productions and now searching for a new job has quite taken up all of my time. (Though I dare say since my productions have come to a close, I have not been always using my time as wisely as I could have...my mother will no doubt agree most heartily with me on this subject.)

Anyway, where to begin now that I have begun? I do feel such a connection to you, Jane. You once wrote the following in a letter to your sister, Cassandra, on the eigth of February in the Year-of-Our-Lord, eighteen hundred and seven, "My expectation of having nothing to say to you after the conclusion of my last, seems nearer Truth than I thought it would be, for I feel I have but little." Despite the fact that you felt you had nothing much to write, you went on to write a very lengthy letter and so to that I say, "If Jane can, than (then?) I can."

I took a short break just now in order to make some tea and oh, how glad am that I did! Tea truly cures all, Jane. Happily for me, I have at my disposal the delicious "Jane Austen Blend" from the Jane Austen Centre in Bath.

The more I write, the more it seems that this letter will be about nothing in particular... Be that as it may, Jane, I shall prevail! What to write of? Ah, yes. As you surely know, the eighteenth of July in the Year-of-Our-Lord, two-thousand and seventeen, will mark two hundred years since your passing. Sad as this day may be for all of your devoted Janeites, it is also a day to be celebrated. Luckily, many agree with me and there are such wonderful events planned to commemorate such a momentous and important occasion. It is my greatest wish to travel to England this summer in order to partake in some of them. 

First of all, there is a website devoted entirerly to your 200th anniversary. It is called, "Jane at 200: A Life in Hampshire." I must confess to going to this site more often than I should as it just makes me long to live in and visit Hampshire! Anyway, this fantastic site gives a fantastic overview of all of the wonderful Austen-themed upcoming events

I must also tell you that the first ever Jane Austen statue is being erected in Basingstoke and visiting it is certainly on my "Jane Austen bucket list." It looks to be coming along quite well.

Additionally, some brilliant people in Winchester, England (your final resting place) put together a "Rain Jane Trail" so that every time it rains, twelve of your wonderful quotes magically appear on the ground. It is splendid, is it not?

Happening in Alton, England in June is the "Jane Austen Regency Week." This exciting week will feature such events as lectures, dancing workshops, guided walks, a regency ball, teas, etc. It seems to be a most ambitious and glorious schedule to be sure. 

I will happily post more information regarding upcoming Jane Austen events in future letters. This is such an exciting time to be alive for Janeites!

As I become more and more excited for your bicentenary, Jane, I find myself looking at pictures from the day I spent at your house with my dear sisters in the Year-of-Our-Lord, two-thousand and twelve. Here are a few of them for you to view at your leisure. 




Well there you have it, Jane (and gentle readers). I shall write again soon with more information about this exciting time in Jane Austen history but until then I remain...

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of."

"Oh! Do not attack me with your watch. A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated to by a watch."