"I have been used to consider poetry as the food of love."

March 23, 2017

Dear Jane,

I thought I might share with you a poem I wrote about a year ago and it just so happens that it was inspired by the beloved heroines of your treasured novels. Since it is Women's History Month and the world celebrated World Poetry Day this past Tuesday, it seemed fitting to share a poem about my favorite authoress and her divine leading ladies.  Now before I share my poem, I find myself remembering a humorous and lively conversation between Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy from Pride & Prejudice:

Image result for pride and prejudice
These two love birds can't fool us.
   "And so ended his affection," said Elizabeth impatiently. "There has been many a one, I fancy, overcome in the same way. I wonder who first discovered the efficacy of poetry in driving away love!"

   "I have been used to consider poetry as the food of love," said Darcy.

   "Of a fine, stout, healthy love it may. Everything nourishes what is strong already. But if it be only a slight, thin sort of inclination, I am convinced that one good sonnet will starve it entirely away."

Oh dear, I do hope no one is driven away by my poetry; that would be very sad, indeed. Amway, here it is!

Heroines

These heroines whose stories
were so justly told
are part of a legacy
that shall never grow old.

There’s Marianne & Eleanor
Fanny, Catherine and Anne,
all equally wonderful
and I’m quite a big fan.

But we can’t forget Emma
nor Jane or Elizabeth
for their wit and their charm
are not those of some myth.

Their stories are famous
as they should be, indeed.
Thank goodness they’ve survived
for millions to read.

They overcame obstacles
and never gave up hope
For these ladies were strong
and had no time to mope.

So we smile and sigh
as we reread each tale
for Jane Austen taught us
that heroines always prevail.

There you have it, Jane and dear, gentle readers. I do hope my little poem puts a smile on your face and inspires you to pick up your favorite Austen novel (or maybe start one for the very first time). After all, perhaps a smile and a love story may be just the things to cheer us up in the wake of the tragic terrorist attack in London yesterday. My heart goes out to the victims, their loved ones and the great city of London as they recover from yesterday's horrors.

Stay safe and keep reading!

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda

Photo: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/seriouslyscience/files/2014/02/prideprejudice.jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"Oh! Do not attack me with your watch. A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated to by a watch."

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of."