England Part Eight (LAST ONE): "It is very difficult for the prosperous to be humble."

December 21, 2018

Dear Jane,

You may be wondering why I chose the above quotation, as it was written in a letter by the inconstant and rather unbeloved, Frank Churchill, but as this is my eighth (and final!) letter about the hackneyed English holiday I took five months ago, I daresay no one can call me humble. I do not wish to brag or drag on about my trip, but I just feel so, well, prosperous for having had such a wonderful experience with my sister that I want to ensure I remember every detail! I do so appreciate your willingness to indulge me in this one last letter on the subject, dear friend.


St. Pancras.
The lobby.
So lovely.
As we arrived back at King's Cross Station in London, on the eighth day of August in the Year of Our Lord, two-thousand and eighteen, Rachael and I were both tired from our journey and still feeling the pangs of disappointment at leaving York. We also knew that our holiday was nearly at an end so our pain was exceedingly acute, Jane. Luckily, however, we had a special treat to look forward to that evening, which was sure to ease our pain: We were to stay at the grand and luxurious St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel for our last night in London! I mentioned this architectural marvel in 'England Part One,' but as that was FOUR MONTHS AGO, I do not expect you to remember it, gentle readers. Anyway, to say that we were excited, is quite an understatement. Normally, we would never be able to afford such an extravagance, but Rachael (being the kind sister she is) used her long-saved Marriott rewards points in exchange for a free night's stay. Huzzah for a dear sister who is in possession of a Marriott credit card and who travels often!

For those who may not be familiar with the St. Pancras hotel, it is a stunningly gorgeous edifice right across from King's Cross station. Whilst it is home to a large hotel, underground train station and large shopping center, it really looks more like a castle than anything else! 

After our arrival, we walked the short distance to the castle (hotel*) and proceeded to check in, looking as "shlubby" as ever (travelling via public transport can do this to a lady, you know). If you are unfamiliar with the term, Jane, I believe "shlubby" means having a peasant-like and/or disorderly appearance. As I am a peasant, myself, I can say this without insulting my fellow peasants. The lobby of the hotel is just so lovely and so many fashionable people were about that we felt quite ostentatious in our "shlubiness." 

A scandalous but
necessary photo of
me in my complimentary
dressing robe.
Now, I do not wish to boast, Jane, but since we already determined that it is difficult at present for me to be humble, I shall have no shame in reporting that the beds in our room were soft, luxurious clouds and I felt like a damn Duchess when I adorned myself with the complimentary dressing robe that awaited me in the privy. My apologies for the profanity. What has come over me, Jane!? I suppose I just feel things very strongly. (Who, me? Never.)

Though we took some time freshening up and resting a little before making the most of our final evening in London, we were sure not to dawdle too long as we were also engaged to dine with a friend of Rachael's before the night was done. Happily, the first stop after our respite took us no further than the very hotel we were currently staying in for it is just as impressive from within as it is without. The end of that sentence looks very odd to me, Jane, but I am moving on for now. 
Rachael, in her happy place.

They call me
Sense & Sensibility
 Spice.
Our first stop was, obviously, the Spice Girls staircase. Confused, Jane? You may be asking yourself, "Who are the Spice Girls? Were they kitchen maids or ladies who acted as keepers of the spices? And which spices, precisely? Or, were they, perhaps, women who owned and operated their own spice shops? I daresay not many women ran their own shops back in my day..." Silly, Jane. The Spice Girls is a group of five British women who, together, made up one of the most popular musical groups of the 1990's and early 2000's.  And interestingly enough, none of their names were even spice related! Can you believe it? Their "nom de plumes," if you will, were: Scary Spice, Baby Spice, Sporty Spice, Posh Spice, and Ginger Spice (well, I guess that last one is, indeed, named after a real spice, though, I think she adopted that name in honor of her red hair).


Related image
A GIF! The Spice Girls 
on the St. Pancras
stairs!
I digress. Anyhow, we visited the stairs at the perfect time and there were no other guests in the vicinity. This meant we could take pictures and be silly without the eyes of strangers upon us! You will most likely not be surprised to learn that I took this opportunity to sing and dance on the stairs as if I, too, were a Spice Girl; Rachael graciously filmed my performance. I chose to sing a short chorus of "Wannabe" and did my best impression of their music video from 1996. Whilst this may sound like flagrant and improper behavior...I assure you it was worth it! (Do not fear on my behalf, Jane, for I *barely* sang above a whisper.)

A picture
for mother.
Girl Power!
Following my literal "song and dance" routine, Rachael and I continued to take photographs of one another on the stairs (our mother would expect such pictures, you know) before deciding we should continue climbing and see where they led.... I am so glad we ventured beyond the Spice Girls steps because what awaited us above was nothing short of HOGWARTS. In truth, Jane, it was as though we just left a banquet in the Great Hall and were climbing the stairs that would lead us to Gryffindor tower. All in all it was another magical discovery for us. I daresay the pictures below require no captions!


She could be a model
for St. Pancras...
if that is,
indeed, a thing.

After we had our fill of the beautiful Hogwarts-like-atrium, we took a jaunt through the St. Pancras train station and shopping area, took a few more photos and decided upon a location to meet with Rachael's friend, Leo, whom were were to have dinner with. Leo is a dear friend of Rachael's from her school days at King's College, Jane. 

Happily, it was not long before we found the gentleman in the midst of bustling London Town and the two friends had a joyous reunion. We then took a charming stroll together whilst keeping an eye out for a suitable dining establishment. Also, it was just my luck that as we were walking, we came upon one of the bookshops that I had not yet been able to visit. Needless-to-say, I was feeling quite joyous, myself!

So close, yet so far.
This particular bookstore is very unique as it is one that floats upon the Thames River! A floating bookstore, Jane! Now for the bad news... I was not able to venture within (it is one of my biggest regrets to date). You see, we were all rather hungry, Rachael and Leo were catching up, and it was rather out of our way. Indeed, the reasons not to go piled up but at least I now have something to look forward to when I return!

Rachael and Leo!
In truth, we had a lovely evening and a delicious meal of Asian cuisine. It is always lovely to meet up with old friends, is it not? Rachael is very good at staying in touch with her comrades...clearly, it takes more effort for me as my letters are often few and far between. (This recent influx of letters is due to the fact that I do not want my English saga to extend into the New Year. We must make way for new adventures in 2019!)

Before we knew it, it was time to say goodbye to Leo and walk back to the St. Pancras in order to begin repacking our trunks (suitcases*). I could not believe our journey was nearly at an end! Unfortunately, this does not mean my letter is at an end, gentle readers, for I still have a few more stories up my sleeve...

Later that evening, whilst I was sorting garments and carefully packing my new treasures, Rachael discovered an exciting piece of news: Our cousin and his family were staying at the St. Pancras that night as well! What were the odds of this, Jane!? Thank goodness for Instagram Stories or else we may have never known (though we knew they were travelling in Europe for a family vacation, we did not know the details of their trip). Rachael promptly contacted our cousin's lovely wife, Wenhsin, and made plans for us to breakfast together the next morning. Our mother was most delighted with the news, of course! Anyway, we finished packing (and yes, I did permanently borrow the complimentary slippers they provided me. I did not take the robe, though, as I am not a barbarian, Jane) and awoke the next morning bright and early for we had one last, yet exceedingly important, errand to complete before breakfast...

The Last Errand:

I had been thwarted at every attempt thus far to visit the Trolley at "Platform 9 ¾" in King's Cross Station and by George, I would not be thwarted again, Jane. The pressure was on. For those who don't know, visiting the Trolley entails adorning oneself with a House scarf of one's choosing, picking a wand (though we all know the wand chooses the wizard), pretending to "run" through the magical barrier whilst clutching the stationary trolley and having your picture taken! It is a most diverting activity for fans of the Harry Potter series.

During each of the prior three times we attempted to visit, the line was prodigiously long and we had not the time to waste in a queue. This was our last chance on our last day, so we COULD NOT fail, Jane. Luckily, we had it on good authority from an employee we asked the day before, that the best time to enjoy the magical attraction was first thing in the morning when it opened. So that is what we (I*) set out to do.
Such happy
wizards
(disguised
as muggles)!

If it was not made clear, my emotions were once again in a heightened state that morning for the thrilling moment was soon at hand! (But also- the pressure!) It should also be known that Rachael was still "not here for" my poorly executed excitement; nor should she have been. Anyway, since I was ready to leave before Rachael that morning, we decided I should go first and hop on the queue just in case there was already a crowd forming. We were on a tight schedule since we still had to check out of our room and meet Wenhsin for breakfast; there was no time to waste.

Fortune favored us that rainy morning, Jane, for there were only a few people in line for the Trolley cart and Rachael arrived but a few minutes after myself. We were both flushed with anticipation and it was all going so well...at least, for a spell (magic pun intended). Oh, how, I laugh and laugh just thinking about what happened next. 
There I was, getting ready for my big moment at the trolley and my dear sister was kindly indulging me in my excitement, which I am sure was adorable to behold as I was all ready to go in my Hufflepuff (obviously) scarf, when all of a sudden...I wasn't so adorable anymore. As most of you know by now, when I am very excited about an event and something doesn't go my way, I become very, for lack of a better phrase, insane in the membrane. (I fear that I am painting an unflattering image of myself, but as Harry Potter had to write during his detentions with Dolores Umbridge, "I must not tell lies.") 

The event that transpired stemmed from the fact that I wanted to live my dream of posing at the trolley, whilst also not having to pay for the official picture that was taken by the photographer on hand. I did have a vacation budget to think of, you know. Luckily, one also has the option of having a friend take one's picture. Unfortunately, however, it all happened so quickly that while I was posing, Rachael was told to choose her own scarf and wand, so she was unable capture my Harry Potter moment with her mobile phone. They keep that line moving like a well-oiled machine, Jane! 

I was dreadfully disappointed that I had no *free* photographic evidence of my triumphant wizarding moment, and I let my sister know it in no uncertain terms. I regret to say that I was all in a huff and spoke some rather sharp words to her. I just care too much and feel things too deeply, Jane! This is no excuse though; I behaved in a most unladylike fashion. In truth, I am a blackguard who deserves neither my sister nor Harry Potter. Alas, I should have chosen the Slytherin scarf for I daresay that is my true house! 

The true wizard
amongst us muggles.
Anyway, the shop employee who was the keeper of the scarves and wands, must have heard some of our conversation because she then said, in a suitably judgmental tone, "You can just go again, there aren't many people in line yet." I could have died of shame right there on the spot. At the same time, however, I was also incredibly grateful and immediately took her up on her offer. When it was Rachael's turn to pose, I did my best to take a dazzling picture of her and afterwards, once she relinquished her scarf and wand, I, of course, continued to apologize profusely. In order to make amends, I marched right into the adjacent wizarding shop and promptly bought both of our official portraits. I daresay it was the least I could do. What's the moral of this story, you ask, gentle readers? Never be an arse to your sister for it will cost you upwards of £15. (Which was a small price to pay in restitution.) In truth, I was full of sensibility but little sense and therefore, I am, indeed, Sense & Sensibility Spice. Or as Rachael would call me: a Sour Patch Kid.
A Slytherin in Hufflepuff colors.

As I've said before, it is always an adventure with the Forker sisters! (Again, I am so very sorry, Rachael. My love for all-things-Harry-Potter got the better of me once again!) 
The shop at
King's Cross.

After I purchased our pictures (and a fake Hogwarts Express ticket- you never know when you may need one), we walked back to the dining room in the St. Pancras for a lovely breakfast with Wenhsin. It was so good to see her, and in London, no less! She informed us that her husband (our cousin), Rahman, unfortunately had to work that morning and the children were still asleep after their long flight from California, so we had a delightful and intimate meal with just us three. 

Breakfast with Wenhsin!
Before long, we were forced to bid Wenhsin adieu for we still had to gather our belongings from our room before I left for the airport, and Rachael for her train. Rachael was continuing on to Devon for a friend's wedding celebration and I was sadly going back to America later that afternoon. And so, no more thirty minutes later, Rachael and I went our separate ways with the promise of catching up later on in the day before each of our respective modes of transportation departed.

The shop at
Heathrow
Airport.
With the exception of visiting another Harry Potter shop, located in Heathrow airport (yes, I did visit two wizarding world shops in one day, Jane), there are no more England adventures of which to write about- we have come to the end at last! I shall always remember this trip as being one of the finest of my "twenties," and look forward with great joy and anticipation to the next one, though, I will probably be the ripe old age of thirty when it occurs. 


The raindrops on
my window matched
the tears streaming
down my face.
#Dramatic
Thank you, Jane and gentle readers, for coming along with me as I revisited this wonderful journey in eight exceedingly long letters- I am most grateful. I sincerely hope that you and your loved ones have a wonderful Christmas and a joyous Holiday season. I promise not to write again until 2019!

Until the New Year...

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"Oh! Do not attack me with your watch. A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated to by a watch."

"One cannot have too large a party."