"You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope." ~Captain Wentworth, Persuasion

February 16, 2019

Dear Jane,

As it two days after Valentine's Day, I must discuss something with you of the utmost importance. I do not wish to play the blame game, Jane, but you must admit that you gave me (and all your gentle readers) some very unrealistic expectations about love when you wrote characters like Captain Wentworth, Mr. Darcy & Mr. Knightley (and the lesser-talked-about, Admiral Croft. He was a true gentleman, Jane, who clearly valued his remarkable wife!). But do not fret for I forgive you, dear friend! We are most fortunate to have your novels to turn to both when love is in the air and when it is not. Of course, that is not to say you were a writer of mere love stories. I am a firm believer (as are most, I should hope) that your novels are some of the greatest works of fiction ever written. However, as it is the month of love, I shall share my favorite romantic moment from Persuasion: Captain Wentworth's letter.

"I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant. You alone have brought me to Bath. For you alone, I think and plan. Have you not seen this? Can you fail to have understood my wishes? I had not waited even these ten days, could I have read your feelings, as I think you must have penetrated mine. I can hardly write. I am every instant hearing something which overpowers me. You sink your voice, but I can distinguish the tones of that voice when they would be lost on others. Too good, too excellent creature! You do us justice, indeed. You do believe that there is true attachment and constancy among men. 
Believe it to be most fervent, most undeviating, in

F. W.

I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall return hither, or follow your party, as soon as possible. A word, a look, will be enough to decide whether I enter your father's house this evening or never."

I am quite literally having heart palpitations, Jane, for that is an utterly perfect love letter. Dear future husband...take note. Anyway, I daresay I have more to write about today besides the glory and follies of love. 

Now, then. Last weekend I had the pleasure of seeing my dear sister, Rachael, in Washington D.C. for a much-needed visit. We had a lovely time drinking tea, catching up and going on delightful outings. I must say that even though our visits are usually only two days long, we do make the most of them (*ahem* thanks to my excellent itinerary and planning skills)!

When I arrived late Saturday morning to my sister's apartment, after an excellent fifty minute flight from Hartford (which my dear Mama calls, "the best deal in town!"), I was greeted with a hug from my sister, a cup of coffee and the promise of a homemade omelette, all of which were exceptional...but especially the omelette. (I joke, of course, for hugs are best of all...but that omelette was seriously delicious.) 

After breakfast and a lovely chat we finally decided to make our way out into the world and visit the Folger Shakespeare Library for their newest exhibition, "First Chefs: Fame and Foodways from Britain to the Americas." The Folger is one of my favorite places in Washington D.C. and once again, we were not disappointed with our visit. The current exhibit is a fascinating one that serves as a strong reminder that food should have always been (and should continue to be, though unfortunately in many places still is not) a basic human right rather than a privilege. The artifacts and stories on display tell how disenfranchised, enslaved and oppressed people were not only casualties of foodways, but forced into hard and often times dangerous labor, rarely seeing any compensation or share in the food they were cultivating. This exhibit brings to light just how dreadful life was for nearly everyone who wasn't a white man of the nobility or aristocracy, and yet somehow the downtrodden survived. It also champions historical figures who never got the credit or respect that they deserved in their own lifetime, such as: Hercules, an African-American man who was a truly gifted chef but enslaved by George Washington. Hercules eventually escaped and liberated himself after Washington used shameful loopholes to keep him as a slave indefinitely. 

Another highlighted "first chef" was Hannah Woolley. It is believed that Ms. Woolley was one of the first people EVER to make a living as a food writer. Unfortunately, scoundrels stole her ideas and published unauthorized copies of her recipe books throughout her career. Amazingly, however, the Folger has some of her exceedingly rare, authorized works on display and they are absolutely wonderful to behold! This is another exhibit, masterfully curated, and it made me reflect on how easily I take for granted something as simple (and complicated) as food on a daily basis. I highly recommend a visit to the Folger for this one.

Although we had an extensive and riveting afternoon, we still weren't quite done with our Folger adventure for the day. Happily, we purchased tickets to that evening's performance of, "Nell Gwynn" at the Folger Theater. Neither of us had ever seen a production in the attached theatrical hall and, as it turned out, were so glad that we chose Nell Gwynn for our first! 

This funny, charming and intelligent play was written by Jessica Swale and was an absolute delight to see. For those who may not know, Nell Gwynn was an English woman born in 1650 who led an exceedingly fascinating life. A commoner from birth, her mother owned a bawdyhouse and her father, apparently, died in debtor's prison. Nell, however, rose above her lot in life and became one of the first women ever to act on stage in England. It is also worth noting that she became one of King Charles II's favorite mistresses and was actually quite beloved by the English people (which was not so common for Kings' mistresses)! Known for her natural wit, good heart and lack of self-consciousness, she was (by all accounts) a sensational comedic actress. 

At the Folger, Nell is portrayed by actress, Alison Luff, who did a truly brilliant job. She had big (historical) shoes to fill and did so with gusto, great comedic timing and a beautiful singing voice. In fact, her songs were one of the highlights of the show for me (along with an extraordinarily talented supporting cast and the gorgeous costumes by Denise Wagner of Ansaldo Costume). Even though we purchased 'partial view' seats (adventuring on a budget, remember, Jane?), we didn't miss a moment of the show. It was so well directed and acted that the large column that sat directly in front of me was barely noticeable once the players began their performance. The Folger theater itself is quite beautiful and transports audience members back in time with its Shakespearean feel. There is so much more that I could say about this bewitching experience, but I think my feelings of appreciation for it are quite clear by now. Nell Gwynn runs until March 10th if you wish to see it, gentle readers! 

After having a diverting Saturday out on the town, we were determined to do so again on Sunday. On the agenda was a tour of Tudor Place (as I was doing research, I found that they were offering guided house tours for a mere $1.00 per person) and a Sunday Roast at the Queen Vic Pub. I know, the makings of an excellent day, Jane...especially the part about the Sunday Roast.



In truth, our tour of Tudor Place was captivating and we learned much about the house and the Peter family, its past inhabitants. We also took a brisk walk through the garden, which, as you can imagine was lovely, but devoid of flowers as it is the middle of winter. Tudor Place was completed in 1816 and has had only FOUR owners since that time. Additionally, historians have no idea why the house was named "Tudor Place," as no one in the Peter family had any Tudor connections. However, they were VERY related to the Washingtons; Martha Washington was grandmother to the first owner's wife, Martha Parke Custis. The house itself is in remarkable condition and filled with breathtaking artifacts. Our delightful docent was both knowledgeable and quite fashionable so naturally, Rachael and I decided we want to be her when we grow up. She did an excellent job sharing the stories of not only the owners, but those that were employed and enslaved by them. It is important to remember that these great houses relied heavily on slaves to keep them up and running and therefore, their stories are equally as vital. Our guide made sure not to sugar coat the history of the house and those who lived in it and made a point to tell our group that research is ongoing to find out as much as they can about those who were wrongfully enslaved there.

Now, if I were truly a gifted writer like you, Jane, I would be able to beautifully connect the fact that our house tour started in a lovely conservatory where we were surrounded by small, vibrant orange trees, with the play we saw the night before, Nell Gwynn. As it happened, the play opened with Nell 'hawking oranges' outside the theater where she was first discovered and trained to be an actress. Oranges, at the time of Nell Gwynn, were relatively new but exceedingly popular in Britain and considered to be quite exoctic. Symbolism, am I right? Also, from what I understand after reading "Consider the Orange," an article in my program from the play, English orangeries were quite fashionable for aritstocratic gardeners. Therefore, I would not be suprised if the Peter family had orange trees growing in their conservatory, as well.  But describing this lovely coincidence is as much as I can do. It was a weekend of oranges and Britons!

Needless to say, after our tour we were ready for a good meal and made our way to the Queen Vic for our Sunday Roast. All that stood in our way was a nearly hour long bus ride. How bad can long bus rides be, though, when one has one's sister by one's side? VERY BAD WHEN YOU'RE HUNGRY. Again, I joke. Sort of.

We finally arrived at the Queen Vic, promtly ordered pints of ale and our roasts and took in the general splendour of our surroundings. There is nothing like a good British pub, Jane, and we missed them terribly since our August adventures in England! Before long, our delicious food came out and we indulged ourselves in meat, potatoes and Yorkshire puddings.  I was, in all seriousness, very grateful not only for the food but for the time I got to spend with my sister over the weekend. Family is forever, Jane! But also Yorkshire Pudding!

I daresay that is nearly every detail from last weekend, so until next time, I remain-

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"Oh! Do not attack me with your watch. A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated to by a watch."

"One cannot have too large a party."