"He danced only four dances, though gentlemen were scarce; and, to my certain knowledge, more than one young lady was sitting down in want of a partner."

March 1, 2019

Dear Jane,

Imagine a world where one could go to a nearby town's public library and enjoy a whole host of Jane-Austen-related activities, completely free of charge. Surely, such a beautiful world does not exist! Spoiler Alert: It does and it's the world I live in.

While that introduction may have been *slightly* over-dramatic, I firmly believe that public libraries deserve to be recognized for the undeniable joy they bring to the lives of so many. It just so happens, though, that a particular library has inspired this joy and dramatic flair within me today: The charming Cheshire Public Library of Cheshire, Connecticut. Throughout the entire month of February, they hosted numerous Jane-themed events and called the series, "For the love of Jane Austen."  How divine! Although I did not learn about the existence of said series until the middle of February, I feel truly #blessed that I was able to attend two events that were both exceedingly diverting. Naturally, I wish to tell you all about them, Jane and gentle readers. Huzzah!

Thursday February 21: Regency Dance Lesson

This was without a doubt a most enchanting and educational evening. I confess that I already had a love of English Country Dancing (also known as Regency Dance) before I arrived, so I felt most fortunate to be in attendance. Additionally, my very Italian mother who was born and raised in the Bronx attended with me...so obviously, it was an amazing and silly night.

First of all, this style of dance is both graceful, elegant...and deceivingly complicated. If you are under the impression that it consists of merely walking in a line and curtsying, you are sorely mistaken. Each dance is made up of a series of patterns ranging from somewhat simple to extraordinarily detailed, and if you wish to keep up with your partner and neighbors, you must be focused and primed for a challenge. 


Members of the
Vintage Dance Society.
Those of us in attendance were most fortunate because our teachers for the evening were from the Vintage Dance Society. Before our lesson began, however, they treated us to a performance in which they demonstrated a variety of dances whilst attired in traditional Regency garb; it was splendid. 

During the course of the evening, we were taught five dances (none of which I can remember the name of, unfortunately...though not unsurprisingly) and I felt like Elizabeth Bennet during all of them! That is, except for the last dance in which I felt more like Mr. Darcy. You see, I had to learn the gentleman's part for the final dance because I was significantly taller than my partner...but I did so with pride! This sort of thing is bound to happen, though, when men are few and ladies are plenty. Luckily, it is perfectly acceptable for women to dance the men's part in the twenty-first century. As you may recall, gentle readers, a similar situation occurred in Pride & Prejudice, so we were in good company (though, unfortunately, ladies were not encouraged to dance with one another at balls, as we were). The following quote is from Elizabeth Bennet, in full 'sass' mode, explaining the less-than-ideal situation to Mr. Darcy's cousin, Colonel Fitzwilliam:
The real dancers!


"You shall hear then--but prepare yourself for something very dreadful. The first time of my ever seeing him in Hertfordshire, you must know, was at a ball--and at this ball, what do you think he did? He danced only four dances, though gentlemen were scarce; and, to my certain knowledge, more than one young lady was sitting down in want of a partner. Mr. Darcy, you cannot deny the fact."

The night was made even better because I got to share it with my dear mama! She was so adorable during the dances but also HILARIOUS. I can't even explain why exactly, but she is just the funniest person and enjoyed the dances so very much. After each one she would proclaim, "OK- that was my favourite!" whether or not we mastered the steps. I daresay you would have enjoyed dancing with us, Jane. Everyone present was willing to learn something new, have fun, make mistakes and pretend like we were actually at a ball in the Year-of-Our-Lord, eighteen hundred and five. It was ever so delightful. And hilarious. I cannot stress enough how hilarious it is to see a group of people in 2019 trying to learn dances from the Regency Era. We were a motley but mighty crew, to be sure, but our teachers were wonderful (and patient)!


Thursday February 28: Shades of Jane Austen

This delightful program took place just yesterday evening and featured a lovely lecture by Ms. Patricia Carr. Ms. Carr gave a lovely talk on you, Jane, your life and what it was like to live in the Regency Era. She also showed some beautiful pictures and paintings via projector. I loved witnessing other people learn about you, Jane, and happily there were quite a few Austen 'newbies' present! Also, I was pleasantly surprised that I already knew much of the information that Ms. Carr shared and even *silently* recognized a slight error in the presentation. Ms. Carr said that your brother, Henry Austen, had been adopted by the Knight Family, when it was actually your brother, Edward. I daresay I can be quite the know-it-all sometimes, gentle readers. 

Anyway, these programs brought me and so many others such joy and I wanted to heartily thank the Cheshire Public Library for putting on such lovely events. It will come as no surprise to you all, but for the love of  Jane Austen, I'll travel anywhere!

Alas, the next time I write, Jane, I shall be an old maid of thirty...say a humble prayer for me! Until then, I remain-

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of."

"One cannot have too large a party."