“If adventures will not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad.”

September 6, 2013

Dear Jane,

As you know, this is a wonderful quote from your novel, Northanger Abbey.  I must confess, that I have only read this novel once and have not yet had the good fortune to see a movie adaptation of it.  Never-the-less, as a young lady away from her own village, I connected with this quote on many levels.  

While I find that living in New York is a great adventure thus far, it is still very new and will take much more getting used to.  I realize that I was outgrowing my village (or town as we in this century like to call it), however,  I am fortunate that my travels "abroad" are really only in a neighboring state.  I am of the mind that one should not go too far, too soon. 

I find that the days start to blur together when one lives in a big city.  I cannot believe it is already the wee hours of Friday morning (I imagine you wrote well into the night many a time, so I don't think you would be too shocked by my late correspondence)!  I often get my days confused, sometimes never really knowing which day it actually is (and I have only been here since September 1...) I imagine this will work itself out once I find proper employment...hopefully.

These past couple of days have been charming! I will give a short, but sweet account of my days this week:

3 September 2013 (Tuesday):  Applied/submitted for various situations with decent wages; visited Trader Joe's in Union Square; attempted to use the facilities at Best Buy only to be thwarted by Teen, Pop, Singing Sensation, Ariana Grande, who was signing autographs. Unfortunately, I can't even boast about having seen a celebrity (she was well hidden, where I assume, the facilities were located). 

4 September 2013 (Wednesday):  My dear sister, Rachael, visited me! I was so overjoyed to see her, Jane! My sisters and I (the eldest, Regina, is currently abroad in Italy on holiday) are extremely close, much like Cassandra and yourself, Elizabeth and Jane Bennet, or the Dashwood sisters. Sometimes Rachy and I get into small spats when first seeing each other after a little while apart, but they are quite humorous (in my opinion) because they tend to end as quickly as they start. Anyways, we finally made a plan to go the High Line in Chelsea. It is a beautiful area and we had a wonderful time. We even met up with two of Rachael's friends from England! It was so refreshing to hear their brilliant accents and hear them speak of England. I often wish I had dual citizenship, but sadly there's not a drop of English blood in me.  After a turn about the area, we found a lovely establishment along the High Line that sold beverages of the adult variety and I had a delicious pint of pumpkin beer. It was fabulous (and boy is a pint enough to make me a happy camper).  Afterwards, Rachael and I ate pizza in Little Italy and headed to a swanky fashion store launch where Onyx Moonshine (she works for the CT based company of the same name- wonderful beverage) was being served (for $Free.99, a.k.a. Free of charge a.k.a. brilliant).  Unfortunately, gentle readers (and Jane), I did not have the look of a New York fashionista. I had a few too many patterns going on that night...a picture is below. Also, take note that it was Beyonce's birthday on the 4th of September! (You would love her Jane, everybody does.)

5 September 2013 (Thursday):  I went to my first audition of the season, and it was for the musical, "Oliver!" This of course is based upon the novel, Oliver Twist, by Charles Dickens, a true Brit. It was a very long morning, to be honest. I arrived around 7:30 to the audition studio and was already #118 on the sign-in list. My first thought was, "You have got to be kidding me." And they weren't Jane, they were not kidding me.  The morning progressed uneventfully (I did make two new acquaintances!) and I was seen around 12:45.  After a hearty 20 second audition, I was free to go on my merry way.  I will say that the audition fashion trends this season are not promising. They are as follows: dresses with triangle cut-outs (very odd and somewhat unprofessional), lace dresses fit for fifteen year olds and nude pumps as far as the eye can see (boring!).  Afterwards, I had the good fortune to meet with a few friends and engage in meaningful conversations throughout the day; it was just splendid.

I guess that wasn't so short afterall!  Anways, I have come to conclude that seeking a new adventure abroad is turning out to be an adventure in and of itself! 

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda

Photos: 
1) The closest I got to the bathroom or Ariana Grande; 
2) Rachael at the High Line; 
3.) The view from the High Line; 
4.) Posing with a sign acknowledging Beyonce's Birthday; 
5.) The dreaded audition holding room. It got MUCH worse than this.



 

Comments

  1. Amanda, you and Jane are truly kindred spirits ! However, I must confess I am not a "Janeite" but I know Jane would be so pleased and impressed with your adventurous spirit and your eloquent and witty gift of verse! I look forward to hearing more about your journey and we miss you in your native village. Love , mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alas, your village has a hole in it where you used to dwell, which cannot readily be filled. There is no music or merrymaking this evening but instead silence. I revel in reading of your adventures and living vicariously. Perhaps some day, I too may be one of the splendid friends you run into for meaningful conversation about Empire waist garments. Until such time, know that you are being thought of fondly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your thoughtful comments! I treasure them so, and miss everyone dreadfully! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of."

"One cannot have too large a party."