"What dreadful hot weather we have! It keeps one in a continual state of inelegance."

September 2, 2014

Dear Jane,

Today marks the one year anniversary of  the first time I penned a (public) letter to you! I must confess that if I had not moved to New York City (one year and one day ago), I do not think that I would have begun this delightful venture, so I am very pleased that I did in fact move last September. It is wonderful to be able to read through all of my adventures from this past year and I am quite proud that I have been able to continue my correspondence with you (for we have already established how very lazy of a creature I can be at times). 

Coincidentally, Jane, I arrived back in New York City from Springboro, Ohio on the same day that I moved last year (the first of September). Unfortunately, it is just as hot if not more so than it was on this day last year when I wrote to you for the first time. I know that it was in fact just as hot last year because I posted a picture about how it was so horridly humid  out that I could stick a leaf on my forehead and it would stay all by itself. (Please see picture below.)
My, how history truly does repeat itself. I do rather wish that I was able to maintain a state of elegance in this heat, Jane, but just as you wrote on September 18, 1796 in a letter of your own, it is nearly impossible for a lady to be at her finest in this abominable, warm weather. Needless to say, at this very moment I am lounging on my couch in a slovenly attitude and writing to you, my dear friend, in a most ungenteel fashion. You would undoubtedly agree that it is just too hot to sit up and write at a proper table. Consequently, I take solace in the fact that Septembers have always been, and will always be, plagued with dreadful heat; this is just something one must live with until October, I gather. I must confess, however, that I did not enjoy walking to nearby shops and smelling the rather unintoxicating scent of rubbish lining the boiling streets of Queens, but tis the life of a city tenant.... Luckily for me, if all goes according to plan, I will be reunited with my family (whom I have missed greatly) in Connecticut this weekend and enjoy all of the luxuries that my home atop Apple Hill has to offer...such as a beautiful, modern invention called "central air conditioning." 

Anyhow, Jane, I must say that I am experiencing quite horrid, post-show blues, as they say. I miss all the wonderful people that I met in Ohio, terribly, but I also miss the general ease and enjoyment that captured the majority of my days in Springboro. It is quite wretched to arrive back into reality (as I thought it would be) in this exceedingly hot weather and to have an uncertain future ahead of me! One could argue that most everyone has an uncertain future (as the future is always uncertain), but I am feeling it rather more poignantly today. Poor Hillary experienced my weeping last night and was so very patient with me! I am most fortunate to have such a lovely and caring friend by my side.

I do not have much more to tell since I wrote only a few days ago, Jane, so I will not force you to read more than you have to on this stiflingly, hot evening. All you must know is that our production of "Mary Poppins" finished on a beautiful note, with a splendid audience and a summer filled with happy memories (along with shin splints and that delectable taste of sweet potato soufflé); it is not one that I will soon forget. When once I told friends and family how extremely vexed I was to be "exiled" to Ohio for the summer, I can now tell them how truly blessed I feel to have had the experience. I sincerely hope that everyone I came to know this summer knows how much I appreciate their friendship, talent and general goodness, for I feel so fortunate to know them all. 

I have included some photographs to impart how truly lovely of a time I had this summer. I do hope you enjoy them as much I do, Jane (and gentle readers!).

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda





Comments

  1. Wait, I swear I commented but alas, nothing is here. Anyway, welcome back to the east coast - I was going to schedule a ticker tape parade down 5th Ave. for your return, but I got lazy. Glad you had such a jolly holiday out in Ohio. It must be hard leaving sweet potatoes behind. Looking forward to seeing you in person soon! #shesback #whatduetsarewedoing #NYCwhatisitaboutyou

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of."

"One cannot have too large a party."