A Janeite's First JASNA AGM: Part 1

October 30, 2016

Dear Jane,

I initially began this letter to you whilst in a large ‘barouche,’ which we in the twenty-first century like to call the “Megabus.” (You may remember that I wrote of such transportation in previous letters.) I now finish my note within the comfort of my own home for I feel it my duty to write to you as promptly as may be for I have a most wonderful event to tell you of. To be sure, when you read about where I have been and what I have been doing, I dare say you will be all astonishment, Jane!

Now, as I do not wish to keep you in suspense any longer, I shall just come right out with it. From Wednesday 19 October to Sunday 23 October, I was in Washington D.C. for my first ever Jane Austen Society of North America Annual General Meeting (JASNA AGM) and it was nothing short of sensational. The theme of this year’s meeting was, of course, Emma, as it coincides with the bicentennial of its original publication. In truth, it is difficult to describe this grand meeting of Janeites because I do not believe words can portray just how truly perfect it was. Would you ever have believed, nearly two hundred years after your passing, that hundreds of your devoted admirers would meet once a year from all around the world to discuss, honor, dance and assemble in your honor? Oh, Jane, if only you could have known how much joy you bring to so many people today!

Just look at me; I am getting teary-eyed just thinking of such thoughts. Before I get carried away with more of these sentiments (I could go on and on), I will happily give you an account of my many adventures from the event. I only fear there will be too many to tell you of and I shall leave something out!

Wednesday 19 October: I had a relatively early start from New York with an eight o’clock reservation on a Megabus barouche. Unfortunately, as soon as I left my humble abode I realized that I had brought a trunk with me that was not made for convenient or easy travel. I had to accept this fate, however, as I had no time to pack anew. Once on the barouche, the trip down to Washington was easy enough. Luckily, we encountered very little traffic and no dangerous highwaymen.

 My AGM adventures began with a visit to the Daughters of the American Revolution Museum where they were welcoming scores of visiting Janeites throughout the week. Currently on display at the museum is an exhibition entitled, “An Agreeable Tyrant: Fashion after the Revolution.” It is a marvelous exhibit, which, has on display both men’s and women’s clothing from 1780 to 1825 and explores how fashion helped to change our nation’s identity in the years after the American Revolution. While at the museum, we were given a special treat by the D.A.R who had on display an array of garments and accessories specifically for our group to examine up close. Items included: muslin gowns, shawls, jewelry, corsets, etc. The exhibit (open to the public now through 29 April 2017) boasts twelve marvelously decorated rooms in which the period garments are on view to the public. Needless to say, it was a fantastic way to begin my week! Happily, I happened upon a young lady named, Jen, whom I knew from New York as well as made a new friend named, Sharena, from the JASNA DC region. After the museum, I made my way to the lovely JW Marriot on Pennsylvania Avenue (the conference destination) in order to officially sign in. I was all eagerness and excitement, Jane!





















After signing in, I attended a talk on the JASNA International Visitor Program. Oh, how I would love to live at your home in Chawton, England for a spell and conduct research! I have only to come up with a clever project in which research in England is specifically necessary and apply to a panel… easy enough, is it not? Afterward, I met my dear sister, Rachael, in Chinatown for a dinner of dumplings before going back to the hotel to attend a special guest lecture by Mr. Ken Ludwig. The gentleman's talk focused primarily on your comic genius. Naturally, it was a delightful and engaging lecture! 

Following Mr. Ludwig was a presentation by the two curators of the ‘Will & Jane” exhibit at the Folger Library. To say that this was one of my favorite talks of the week is an understatement. Miss Janine Barchas and Miss Kristina Straub were ever so engaging as they spoke to us about the ins and outs of the impressive exhibit that I could not help become a true fan of theirs! Their natural charm and sense of humour were joys for all those in attendance. We learned quite a lot about the various artifacts on display (one of which is your sister, Cassandra’s, copy of Emma) and how they came to be there. I laughed and laughed and learned so much at the same time. 

After a long day of learning (and a great deal of smiling until my cheeks hurt) I ventured back to Rachael’s flat where I would be residing for the week. Day one was so wonderful that I could not even imagine the delights that awaited me on day two!

Thursday 20 October: Day two of the JASNA AGM saw the grand opening of “Ford’s Emporium.” For those who may not be aware, Ford’s is the fictional general store in Highbury where Miss Emma Woodhouse and other characters of the novel do their shopping. At the AGM it is the lively place in which passionate Janeites can purchase souvenirs to commemorate the meeting. I bought a great many things, including tea from Bingley’s Teas, beautiful prints from Jenny Did It and even a Jane Austen shaped cookie cutter! (Now to begin my adventures in baking…)
 Before making my purchases, however, I attended a talk given by curator of the Jane AustenHouse Museum, Mary Guyatt, who went into depth about the various events taking place there next year to mark the two-hundredth anniversary of your untimely passing in 1817. In short, Miss Guyatt inspired me to think of ways in which I could spend a good amount of time in Hampshire in 2017…one can dream (and plan), can one not? Next on the day’s schedule was a special lecture given by the curator of the Chawton House Library, Gillian Dow, who gave us a virtual tour of the exhibition that had been on display in the museum earlier in the year. As it was entitled, “Emma at 200,” it was a perfect addition to the day! And finally, Mistress Deborah Charlton gave a lecture regarding the excavation of your birthplace, Jane. Though the house, Steventon Rectory, had long been destroyed, Miss Charlton and a team of experts were able to dig at the site and found some wonderful artifacts and structures including a drainage system, china, and utensils.

 Before I go on, I must acknowledge how fantastic it is that such strong, intelligent women are the curators and leaders of these wonderful institutions and exhibits. You would be so very proud, Jane!

After these three wonderful talks I left the hotel in order to spend the rest of the day with my sister, Rachael, who would be travelling to Connecticut on Friday morning. What ill fate that I should visit DC the very weekend that she would be visiting our dear parents in Connecticut! I am quite grateful, however, that she allowed me the use of her apartment whilst she was away.


Once we met, Rachael and I walked to the National Mall and visited the Visitor’s Castle (a truly beautiful building pictured left) and then to the National Museum of the American Indian. In truth, I had been given multiple glowing recommendations about the café within the museum (which was my principle reason for going) but when we arrived it was already closed for the day! Luckily, it was a most fascinating museum to walk through and we were quite happy to be there. We then began our journey home but not before stopping at a quaint dining establishment called, “Romeo & Juliet.” Unfortunately, the service was not quite as good as its name, Jane. Perhaps a rose by any other name does not smell as sweet? Nevertheless, we enjoyed some refreshments and then found a barouche (bus) to carry us back to Rachael’s abode.

So as not to overwhlem you, I shall soon send another letter filled with more of my diverting excursions from the AGM, Jane. I am until then,

Yours Faithfully,

Amanda

Comments

  1. I am quite jealous you got to examine the clothing and accessories close up. I was not able to make it to the DAR at that time, but I did manage to take a good look at the exhibit. I agree Miss Janine Barchas and Miss Kristina Straub were excessively diverting speakers, as was Ken Ladwig. I also have family in Connecticut and Washington, DC and would love to figure out a way to get inside Chawton House for research. I should have done that while I was still in graduate school... I am slowly writing up my own impressions of my first JASNA trip. I hope you will check it out and feel free to e-mail me aupoohbear [at] hotmail [dot] com or message me on GoodReads if you would like to chat about dear Jane and JASNA.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jane & Charlotte: Finding Common Ground in Hartford

"Oh! Do not attack me with your watch. A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated to by a watch."

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of."